1949 Special Deluxe carburetor

jrhoads

Gents, does anyone know of a replacement, different make, newer type etc that would replace the existing Carter| Ball D6H1?

Or anyone know of a reputable re builder?  I realize they are quite simple and I had rebuilt it last year, but something is still off on it and I am pretty tired of fooling with this one.

Thanks

these carbs are as simple as it gets..usually as simple as most Briggs and Stratton carbs only a tad larger in size and weight.  Your repair manual goes to great lengths to walk you through a rebuild.  Discusses each circuit and has a diagram to aide you as you understand what is SPPODSED to be going on and at what time.  Unless you have installed the carb with the wrong gasket or gasket orientation or flat got some extremely worn throttle bushings, you should be able to walk through the carb in short order with peace of mind it was done right.

by reading it has been to a rebuilder other than yourself not so long ago...and to your explanation it was not done right...sending it out again could very well get you a working carb..or it could lighten you wallet and you still be where you are now albeit the carb a bit shinier  

I think you owe it to yourself to tear it down and follow the book closely yourself..step by step checking all, assuming nothing...its the way John Wayne would have done it... :)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I actually rebuilt it, then bought another supposedly "professionally rebuilt" had to have a local guy look it over and it seemed much better.
Then it has sat for about 7 months during all the work I have been doing on it since fall, and now it acts the same, hard to set the mixture in a stable fashion, slightly rough, I have new plugs, wires, cap rotor, points and condenser and coil which eliminates most of the other givens. I talked to a fellow last night that is indeed a professional carb builder and purchased one from him. He said it was very likely that the shaft bushings are worn and very common with these carbs.

I think this guy really knows his carb work. OLDCARBREBUILD.COM

Here is the carb I purchased... this guy is really worth talking to if you have any carb issues...  Thanks guys..

post-7417-0-26204700-1436286600_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-14280300-1436286601_thumb.jpg

you speak you bought a carb from a guy last night and if the link is he, then you have not gotten the carb in hand or installed yet as you are in Indiana and he is in Florida.  What if and just as a what if,,, your problem is not carburetor related and this does the very same thing as the two you have...strike three...?  Inquiring only as you have link this guy and are hedging your bet it will fix all ails.  For the money spent and cost to ship I am hoping all goes well...just wondering if you had a contingency plan is all...

Bigger question is still outstanding... has anyone ever adapted a different carb? Different type, or Newer or more modern?

people on here have adapted other carbs and these same people have reported their results....either they will chime in again or you  will have to search the archives..not many folks here can point you to the exact thread unless they have a cheat sheet they list these threads on for quick location or maybe copied to a personal file..

if you really interested you can find that quick enough.....may find some other interesting reads in your quest..I usually do when looking in the archives..

not accusing anyone of not looking with search.....but only that it is often the better way to find things faster.....again, the original posters could well chime in with a repeat or link to their post and save you time and effort...but many folks come and go here and your wait may be long and fruitless as they no longer frequent the forum....this hobby is fun but I can never stress enough the fact that you got to be continuously pro-active on every facet to stay abreast of what when and where....

also there has never been a rule against striking out on your own....doing some mods and reporting back your results to aide others here....many folks just sitting back eagerly awaiting such threads...

I think in time someone may post their carb threads...maybe just not this morning or today..but maybe tomorrow or later...

I might suggest you look downstream of the carb.  If you cant get the idle correct then you might have a vacuum leak dowstream of the throttle butterfly that is messing with your adjustments.  If you have access to a vacuum gauge, attaching it to the intake manifold can tell you alot about how your engine is running or how your carb is working.  just about any single barrel carb with the same stud placement and throttle bore will work on that engine.  The B1B's are usually far more trouble free than other stuff available.  A simple check for a below the carb air leak is to spray wd 40 or similar around the gasket areas carb to manifold, manifold to engine.  Throttle butter fly shaft. You can also use an unlit propane torch.  If you run it past an area where the seal is not good, or the bushings are worn, the engine should gain rpm and smooth out.  The vacuum gauge will also give you a certain type of reading if aif fuel mix is being leaned out after the carb.  Take a look at the Second Chance Garage website for an excellent article on how to use, read and interpret a vacuum gauge.

Contrary to popular belief, I do search these forums and either I dont know how to do it properly or these things are more buried than one would think....

As a fairly new member to this forum, I'd have to agree with you.  But the more you use it the more familiar and accustomed you get.

I have searched for things outside that point me here to what I was searching for.

I installed the new carb. Not only does it look great, it purs like a kitten.

THIS guy is the man to go to if you want a quality rebuild.  Glad I took a chance on him... thanks for all the additional advice as well. it made me go ahead and change the vac lines which probably needed done soon anyway.

OLDCARBREBUILD.COM

I installed the new carb. Not only does it look great, it purs like a kitten.

THIS guy is the man to go to if you want a quality rebuild.  Glad I took a chance on him... thanks for all the additional advice as well. it made me go ahead and change the vac lines which probably needed done soon anyway.

OLDCARBREBUILD.COM

Glad you got it going and it fixed your issues.