1940 Chrysler Royal Business Coupe

OLDNEON

Just acquired a 1940 Chrysler Royal Business Coupe,

Serial no 7644011

Body tag nos

C25CR-3074

505-107. A1

Interested to know how many of these business coupes were produced and all other interesting features about this car,,, it's a totally origional unmolested survivor, no attempt to start for more than 40 years,,,

Thanks in advance, David Webb "the one man swap meet"post-8247-0-69923800-1436160388_thumb.jpgpost-8247-0-32941100-1436160424_thumb.jpgpost-8247-0-03932200-1436160455_thumb.jpgpost-8247-0-33477500-1436160493_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

John Lee's Standard Catalog Of Chrysler has a total of 5,117 3P(place)Coupes across the C25 Royal and Windsor lines......the C26 Traveler & Saratoga's are listed as having the 3P version but only 711 made........as yours is a C25 then its one of 5,117.......at least that's what I can make out of this book......lol.......welcome to the best mopar forum around, Andy Douglas

I think that might be a club coupe rather than a 3P coupe.  I can't seem to find any photos of 1940 Chrysler business coupes, but the 1941s don't seem to have the rear quarter window.

I am thinking in 40 the glass was there be it business or club coupe sot the very absence of a back seat and the very prominent rear package tray will define the business coupe over that of the club......in 41 they did away with the rear glass in the business couple line up for the three big sisters and only Plymouth continued with the rear quarter glass where the roof slope and glass are distinctly different between the two models..

ALL 1940 Mopar coupes were of the "5 window" style, business coupes had just the front seat(3 Place as Mopar called it), Club Coupes or Auxillary Seat Coupes for 1940 used the same body shell as the Business coupe but had the extra folding rear seats..........do you have just the folding front bench seat or the twin small folding rear seats?..........andyd

• 3 years later...
26 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

Chrysler (as a brand) never had a model called anything with business. Yours is a Club Coupe.

Please post photos of dashboard/instruments

His is a club coupe...but for sure the Chrysler for 1941 did have a business coupe as did the Dodge and DeSoto.....this continued into the post war market also...….the three big sisters were a much more sportier bz cp compared to the Plymouth....as they did not have any quarter lights.....a trunk some 5' 6" deep....haul around 4-5 mothers in laws if necessary...I still have my 41 D19 bz cp and wish I had not sold the D24 bz cp.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

His is a club coupe...but for sure the Chrysler for 1941 did have a as did the Dodge and DeSoto.....this continued into the post war market also...….the three big sisters were a much more sportier bz cp compared to the Plymouth....as they did not have any quarter lights.....a trunk some 5' 6" deep....haul around 4-5 mothers in laws if necessary...I still have my 41 D19 bz cp and wish I had not sold the D24 bz cp.  

What I meant was Chrysler and DeSoto never used the term "business" . 

Edited by chrysler1941

I believe Chrysler1941 was referring to Chrysler did Not use the name "business coupe" for any models years ago. I believe Ford may have.

Most people do often use that name across all brand to ID the body shape.

See attached. My 1946-50 Plymouth repair manual shows no body style using that name either.

DJ

https://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/1940.html

Edited by DJ194950
  • Thanks 1

Oldneon,

Just for the record. Most young people today do not care for our old buses. They want fast and new. Something to plug into.

The 1940's Mopars have little value except to their loving owners. Most go for 8-16K even finished right now in this economy.

Trying to turn your "Business Coupe" into something special isn't necessarily going to work. But as they say - "Go for it big guy".

Good Luck.

Tom

Chrysler did use the term.... :   "Three Passenger Coupe"...

I do like Business Coupe though and do call them that.

As for value of  upper line stock Saratoga or NewYorker  Three passenger Coupes....

I know of a 12,000 mile black one that sold for close to $90,000 15 or more years ago and a Windsor frame on rust free repaint and some upholstry work... sold for $75,000 two years ago.

Good clean original Chrysler line three pass coupes can get very expensive.... especially when going to Europe.

Hacked up ugly patina not so.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

23 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I do like Business Coupe though and do call them that. 

Most people at least in the USA do also, I mostly it do myself.  I love  business body type coupes, regardless of Mopars naming!!

Glad to hear that Some Mopars besides the Woodies have some decent values!

Was just pointing out that Chrysler did not use the term business coupe a to name and describe the models body style as Chrysler1940 was also.

No harm-No foul??  ?

DJ

• Like 1