Gasp, Overdrive Issue Remains

Howard Tarnoff

All the electronics for the 52 Desito Overdrive in my 49 Plymouth check out and double check. Here is the symptom: When the OD Lever is engaged the car goes instant free wheeling only.

Has anyone had this exact problem ?

What did you find?

Thanks

Is the relay side of the lockout switch going to ground after getting up to speed? Sometimes they fill up with oil and don't pass the ground signal on to the relay. Easiest way to trouble shoot is to run a ground wire to the governor terminal on the lockout switch, turn the ignition on but don't start the car, push the od cable in and listen for the relay and solenoid to click, cycling the ign switch should provide you with it clicking in and out with the cable pushed in. Do not roll the car around with the governor bypassed like this! If this solves your issue then it is either a bad lockout switch or your governor is not going to ground when your at speeds of more than 25ish mph.

• Like 1

Are you describing how it acts when driving and engaging the OD cable? Did you let off the gas pedal as you did so?

Will the trans engage when you try to accelerate?

The trans Will freewheel when in OD as the gas pedal is released as it's a required  function to allow the OD to shift into and out of the OD mode.

I have to get it out and drive it again. I only drove home from the shop and in that my oil was 4 years old andI old gas etc I didi not play with it much. And now, if you are watching what is suppose to be the race, its been pouring in Daytona so I may not get it out again until Tuesday.

Thanks

OK, so this morning's test drive.

When I turn the key on I hear the relay for the OD engage.   It is a "Modern" 12 volt really, Durmast 19861 or BWD R3177 are the common numbers.    So voltage is passing through the relay, the fuse is good.    The vehicle drives and shifts normally with overdrive DISENGAGED.     I pulled over and engaged the overdrive.  1st gear is fine, 1st to 2nd as well.   In second lifting on the accelerator shift to overdrive only results in standard second gear, no overdrive.    Shift from 2nd to 3rd works fine but again no 3rd to 3rd overdrive.

There is voltage to the solenoid.

The kick down switch was just replaced.

In looking at the schematic and with reading all that is online this should be simple.   

Do you have this wired as factory or setup so you can shift into OD whenever? I have mine wired as stock and the relay doesn't click until I go to shift into OD.

I think at this point somewhat of a victim of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Car was wired by shop one

Two years later we yanked it out and had another shop finish it

OD stopped working and, as a new florida resident without knowledge of where to turn, had another guy in it for several tries before selling the car in 2011.

Now that I bought it back and know the lay of the land I have an old school electric guy in it.   Going back tomorrow for another go at it.

Is this a George Asche overdrive? If so did you call him?

Hi Don, 

George suggested we replace the 12 volt solenoid with a 6 volt and sent that out along with his wire harness. We did both.    That was 4 years ago and only a few months before we bailed out.    I am gd to oing to get the shop guy on the phone with him tomorrow if possible.   We did speak last week and I was very sad to hear of his wife's failing health so I am trying to leave him alone.

And yes, it is his transmission with a 2nd gear out of a 40.    

Here is the report from 20 test miles this morning.

The transmission works flawlessly out of over drive and shift easily and effortlessly up and down all three forward gears and in and out of reverse.

In overdrive it starts out fine in first and shifts from first to second as it should.   At speed I take my foot off the gas and back into it again and there is no overdrive, it just winds up the rpm.

Still in Second I put my foot back in lightly and then it wants to free wheel but no over drive.

Same is true for 3rd gear.

I am calling George now.

Sounds to me like the solenoid is not engaging.  If you read the borg warner manual, direct drive is pretty much how you explained it with the od cable pushed in and not in overdrive. 

Hope you get it figured out. 

Folks I am happy to report that the over problem is resolved.    It seems that the shop that replaced the clutch a bit more than 4 years ago crossed the wires on the solenoid.    That and replacing a frayed wire, actually hanging on by a strand, at the governor and we are golden.   See photo of Governor.

Something like not seeing the forest for the trees I suppose or looking to long at the hard and not enough time on the obvious.

Really appreciate everyones help.    

post-385-0-10173600-1436381998_thumb.jpg

That wiring you pictured looks older than 4 years. Did you not re-wire your entire car when doing the "build"? If not where did the money go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZSgwQoTeiQ She's so fine there's no tellin where the money went.... <_<

Was rewired in 2008.    Again, I had not been under the car in years.    Nothing like that exists anywhere else

So does it go 51 miles now???  Should go 30% farther in OD as engine revs  mile are reduced.  Howard, I don' know any thing about the Daytona area these days, but you really need to find a reliable shop with more capable technicians.  Looks like you have gotten fleeced many times since you started the Magoo adventure.  Hope you finally get it sorted to the point where it is as reliable as a Plymouth should be. Our Plymouth has taken us on many long distance tours with the biggest failure being a thrown fan belt.  I sincerely hope that you can enjoy this vehicle you have put so much time and money in.

• Like 2