Fast Four

moose

Since this is the mopar flathead forum, I figure this should fit.  It's a 27 Dodge Brothers frame that is being fitted with a Fast Four engine(currently at a local machine shop).  Cam has been ground by Edgy, and the finned aluminum head, also.  Crank has been drilled for pressure oiling.  I've made an intake and header for it.  I refinished the wood wheels, and am working on mounting an early cowl to run as a speedster.

post-681-0-28252400-1435784151_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-82534700-1435784161_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-55551700-1435784175_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-90108800-1435784184_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-70637400-1435784193_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-70779600-1435784226_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-83590200-1435784238_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-06752500-1435784249_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-47251900-1435784259_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-38416800-1435784273_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-54719700-1435784282_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-91314400-1435784316_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have daydreamed of doing that with 32 Plymouth stuff.  Problems are time, money and lack of 32 Plymouth stuff.  I like that you are not going for Ford type front suspension.  My thoughts were to mount a couple of International Harvester / Farmall Tractor gas tanks, the tear drop shaped ones ( I know where there is one and who has access to it, so do you)  They hold about 8 to 10 gallons and mounted behind the seats could also be used as head rests.  One behind each seat would be a nice alternative to the single round tank usually seen on a lot speedsters.  Gave some thought to using leather for Doors, fenders etc.  Mounted over a welded steel rod armature, but you likely have ideas of your own.  What are you using for Carburetion?  I was thinking a pair of 1 1/2 inch SU's.

I think John Frances and Horace Elgin would be proud of you.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/msQOFByI0Xhbnu1aDZ52dFQ.jpg

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Thanks Greg.  The chassis that I have pieced together has a stock fast four gas tank, I was thinking of a boat tail of sorts made from a one piece hood from a P15.  Anybody close to me got one they don't need?  

Here is the header and intake I'm working on for this one.  B&B's are plentiful around my place, so two of those will do fine on this.

post-681-0-86319200-1435795279_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-79818000-1435795365_thumb.jpg

post-681-0-50847500-1435795375_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Fast Four was only produced for a few months - rather rare

Really nice job, don't see many Mopars of this vintage.

I think that pre-dates Mopar. ;)

Chrysler setup the Motor Parts Corporation for providing factory parts to dealers and repair garages sometime in the 1930s. I don't think it was shortened to MoPar until years later, maybe the 40s or 50s.

And Dodge was an independent company, before being purchased by Chrysler in 1928.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Moose......it looks like you've gone back to a stock style engine etc and that a closed car, not a speedster........andydy

This one is completely stock.  I bought it as a placeholder to be able to set everything up for the hot motor that's still at the machine shop.  Turns out it was in good enough shape and I had enough stock parts to make some noise!  All stock except electric fuel pump back by the tank.

The closed car body is a 27 coupe that I came up with, the chassis is the same one in the earlier pictures.  I have also changed over to steel disc wheels, 20" fronts and 21" rears.  The radiator is on the way to a shop for a re-core.  

Moose, nice looking car, I don't recollect ever seeing a mopar with those disc wheels before, how common are they?.......btw nice looking house and garage setup..........andyd.

I don't know how common they may be, but I've only found pictures of them in '24 or '25.  And no Mopar at that time.  Chrysler bought Dodge Brothers in April of '28, I think.  

Thanks for the compliments!

On 7/4/2015 at 5:02 PM, TodFitch said:

I think that pre-dates Mopar. ;)

Chrysler setup the Motor Parts Corporation for providing factory parts to dealers and repair garages sometime in the 1930s. I don't think it was shortened to MoPar until years later, maybe the 40s or 50s.

And Dodge was an independent company, before being purchased by Chrysler in 1928.

I think that Tod is right about the Mopar terminology. About the time that the Hemi's appeared in the Chrysler line is when the Mopar name stated to be bantered around by the go fast group. In the early years and up through the late '40's Chrysler referred to their parts as being Dodge, Chrysler Plymouth, Desoto.. DPCD was stamped into every part they made.Wm.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:43 PM, moose said:

I don't know how common they may be, but I've only found pictures of them in '24 or '25.  And no Mopar at that time.  Chrysler bought Dodge Brothers in April of '28, I think.  

Thanks for the compliments!

Here's my 24 DB the with the solid wheels. It's not obvious in the pictures, but they are split ring.

I have one extra wheel if anyone needs one.

drive_24.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, austinsailor said:

Here's my 24 DB the with the solid wheels. It's not obvious in the pictures, but they are split ring.

I have one extra wheel if anyone needs one.

drive_24.JPG

That car is a beauty!

I could use a spare wheel, what size is it?  20 or 21?

10 hours ago, austinsailor said:

The car has 24", which is not correct for the car. The spare is 20".

Wow, 24" steel wheels!  I thought all they made were 20", then I found a pair of 21"s.  Do you know when they made the 24's?  What was the original application?  

I don't think they were Dodge wheels. An older guy gathered parts all over the midwest and put it together. Most are correct, but I don't think the wheels are. I have no idea what they came off of. He died a few years before I found it. His kids had heard of me said they were just waiting until I found out about it, they knew I'd buy it. Another restored chassis with running gear, but no sheet metal, came with it.   That one has wood wheels without the metel rims or tires.

I particularly like the early 20's Dodge roadsters with that distinctive turtle deck shape and also the way the windscreen posts meet with the cowl......just neat features..........nice car Austin............andyd