47 Plymouth tune-up question

blue p15

I was putting a new set of points in my 47 and dropped the screw that holds the points.   It didn't go down the dizzy!  But I can't find it.  Does anyone know what size it is?

Thanks

Doug

Doug: The question that I have to ask was the dizzy out of the car or still in the engine block? When you dropped the screw and could not find it where did you look for the screw?  Did you take off the breaker plate assembly to see if it fell into the main body of the dizzy and it could be inthere.

The realy easy way to put point in the car is to take the dizzy out of the engine block.  But first you need to  make a reference point on the blck as to where the dizzy is  sitting in position such as to where the vaccum advane is located in reference to the block.  The take the cap off and then put some take on the body to indicate where the rotor is pointing. This is needed so you can get the dizzy to be reorientated to the same spot after putting in the points and condensors and to get it back into the slot in the oil pump.

I do this all the time when doing tuneups on my 39 Desoto. The first time is the hardest since you are doing it the first time but then its becomes old hat..

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich & Don - the distributor is still mounted.  It was actually the condenser and not the points.  I'm certain the screw did not fall into the distributor, because I had the condenser out and actually over the fender when the screw fell out.  If I know what size the screw is, I will go to the hardware and get one.

Thanks

Doug

Best to make sure. I dropped a tiny screw in the distributor of my mom's car once and didn't realize it. I thought it had hit the floor, but it was hiding under the breaker plate.

Anyhow, a couple days later that screw jumped up and shorted the distributor internally, and it burned the ignition wire all the way back to the keyswitch. Mom was not happy.

Since you plan to keep the car I would look for a couple of spare breaker plates for your car. They complete with points condenser and all small wires.  So then it is much easier to replace the entire breaker plate then each individual part. Then you rebuild the old breaker plate with new points condenser and now you have a good spare.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com