Drilled holes in steering shaft cover

central52

Cleaning the engine compartment on my 47 Dodge and I washed off a lot of gunk off the steering shaft cover. I noticed these drilled holes, and was wondering if any water got in there when I went over them. Probably did, so would that do any harm to the steering shaft when it trickled down?

post-407-0-99248300-1435699337_thumb.jpg

Edited by central52

There is a seal where the steering shaft enters the steering gearbox.  And the end of the column jacket is split, and is secured with a clamp.  I don't think water will get into the steering gearbox.

Here's a photo of the manual box after I removed the column jacket and cut the shaft, for my power steering work:

post-126-0-33781100-1435701625_thumb.jpg

(With the jacket removed, I had a hose clamp and washer temporarily holding down the spring that holds the seal in place.  (Edit: caps:) The steering gearbox now resides on a shelf in the garage, with the bottom section of column jacket holding the seal in place.) 

(Edit:  Don C beat me to an answer.  I spend too much time proofing and editing.  Maybe you could drill a drain hole in the bottom of the steering jacket.  Maybe you can loosen the clamp, pry the bottom of the jacket, and see if any water comes out.  Or maybe spray WD-40 or PB-Blaster in the holes and seal them up.   (Edit:  close parentheses.)  )

Edited by DonaldSmith

Well if they were grimed up and only recently cleaned with soap and water, how about spraying some 
WD 40 in and let it do what it was named to do?  Give it a coupleof applications over a couple days then seal up the holes.

Wonder if some one was fishing for the horn button wire ???

Thanks, guys, for the info. I bought the car last year, and I don't know what the previous owners had done to it. Anyhow, I think I'll just spray wd-40 into it, as suggested. By the way, DonaldSmith, did you manage somehow to put in power steering for your car. How is that possible? I'd love to have it, since it's an adventure steering my car at rest. Ed

I wrote a six-section report on my adventures and misadventures in installing power steering in my Big Brown Car (47 DeSoto Suburban.)  

The Sections are:

Introduction

Steering Column Bracket

Horn Contact

Steering Shaft Modifications

Steering Gearbox

Pulleys

Power Steering Pump and Hoses

On the whole, I am pleased.  One oddity is that the pump or gear squeals at full lock.  A later model gearbox may have worked better.  And I suspect that the turning radius is now larger.  I'll check some time if the wheels turn fully to the stop.

The National DeSoto Club printed a summary of my report in the latest "DeSoto Adventures" magazine, and I'll show off the car at their convention in Kalamazoo this year.  

Anyone who wants more information or one or more sections of the report can send me a personal message and I will e-mail them.