Rewiring OT car, Ammeter goes where?

greg g

This 12 V pos ground)  car will basically have two powered circuits one controlled by the ignition switch,( Ign, solenoid, fuel pump, signals) and the other being the head light switch (gauge lights, running, highs and lows,) the brakes lights will be powered independently) I am currently planning on powering the two switches from the Batt side of the solenoid via a 12 gauge wire.  

I am planning on running the 12 gauge to one of the ammeter posts and powering the switches from the other terminal via other 12 gauge leads. The car runs a generator capable of about 25 Amp of out put. Is my plan correct in that the gauge will register all  current flow and also provide sufficient power to the loads.

Greg why would you install two power circuits that work independently? I guess I am not following what you are doing. Is there an advantage of doing this and what is the advantage? 

Headlamps, tail lamps and brake lights are usually powered independent from the ignition or other items requiring the key in the run or accessory position.  By running them through the Amp gauge there will be an indication power draw with loads from one or both circuits in use.  Hopefully the generator will show charge sufficient to cover the load and recharge the battery.

Good to see you also.  Got a chance to look over your truck.  Wondered about the white upholstery...?

Greg, the interior was done by one of the previous owners (I'm number 4). Truck came from Oklahoma and already had the spotlights, roof lights and the roll & pleated seat and doors. Starting to show it's age, but still drives well so I just run it.