Seat Not fit for my Bum

So we recently refurbished the seat in the 50 dodge truck and am needing to refurbish the seat in the 51 truck. 

Well the seat looks real good in the 50 but its not to comfy. We bought the kit that's available from Roberts. There was nothing wrong with it but these seats seam to have some sort of fill that looks like straw. This really helps with the firmness of the seat. We had to remove all of that due to the mouse infestation. Anyone know what I could use to replace this material?

:)

Edited by MATT47025

New seats are next for my truck. But we are now some 3100 miles into our trip. The seats in our 2009 Honda Accord are incredibly comfortable so that I am going to put a pair of them in my truck. Some may protest but after spending eight driving hours in those seats I was not tired, that's enough proof for me.

• Like 1

Yep, I went with a set of one 6 way power seat for me and a good adjustable one for the wife out of a Explorer...the stock bench in just at a bad angle IMO. I think you could still get a material like the original, just more likely from someone who restores old furniture, rather then just auto upholstery

• Like 1

New seats are next for my truck. But we are now some 3100 miles into our trip. The seats in our 2009 Honda Accord are incredibly comfortable so that I am going to put a pair of them in my truck. Some may protest but after spending eight driving hours in those seats I was not tired, that's enough proof for me.

An old dodge truck won't run eight hours on a long road trip.

Two hours is long enough sttin on a stock cushion.

Don't be putin no jap crap cushions in a B-series truck!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

An old dodge truck won't run eight hours on a long road trip.

Two hours is long enough sttin on a stock cushion.

Don't be putin no jap crap cushions in a B-series truck!

Patina got a soft tushy...Patina is always with PP..what Patina wants, Patina gets...It likely will rust away before the seats get installed anyway.. -_-

Longest I drove my 41 Dodge truck was about a 5 hour trip, stock seats, with air cushion flow control...while the seat cushion was not the prob...I did not like the high platform mount..am not a tall person but my head was still close to the roof than I was

comfortable with..the big block V8 more than made up for the discomfort..

I used the wide foam when I did mine.  My fame and springs appeared to be in good shape.  I don't think I'd want to do 8 hrs in any of my vehicles. 

the bench seats do get a little tiresome during extended driving, but for a few hours, not a problem.

nice to see that honda still makes a comfortable seat - the most comfortable car i've driven was an '87 accord.  i could drive that for days, pushing 700 miles each day, without back issues.  my later '95 subaru was not comfortable if going more than about 4 hours, while my '87 4runner is decent for about 6 hours.

wally

I had an upholsterer friend rework my seat cushions. He started by retying all the springs. He then used foam and nylon batting before putting the covers on. They turned out nice and comfy. Plush compared to the dried out stock material. I made a modification to the front mount to raise it about an inch......which kicked the back towards the rear a bit. All in all it is about as good as it is going to get and I am a fairly big guy 6' 1" 225#. I would say it is good for 2-3 hours which is all I would ever do without stopping and going for a stretch.

In my mind these old trucks were built in a time when most people drove differently than they do today. Long trips were an adventure and you stopped along the way to enjoy the sights and refresh yourself. And of course check the oil and radiator.

8 hours behind the wheel without a break? I don't know about the rest of you but that certainly isn't why I got this truck. Besides I can't hold it that long any more. :D

Jeff

• Like 1

I did cut the platform out of my truck, there was just no good way to use it with the seats I bought, not to mention I wanted to be a bit lower....I've cracked my head before on the old bench on a bad bump, but I have a lot of springs still in that truck. I also wanted to secure the seat to the floor for a bit better hold, that platform is tacked on pretty well, but not designed for mounting seats to the thin metal