Need help with petronix install

Mattias78

taken from Pertronix web page for 2563lsp6..

Read the third line down on "features".  Says- cobalt magnets used for hall effect...

F E AT U R E S

Delivers twice the voltage to the spark plugs, increasing horsepower, fuel economy, and spark plug life.

2:1 improvement over points in current fall time for increased coil output.

rotating cobalt magnets trigger a Hall effect integrated circuit . ...no points to burn, ...no moving parts to wear out.

epoxy molding makes our module impervious to dirt, oil, grease and moisture.

stable timing ...no need for any adjustments.

will trigger most multi-spark cD ignitions.

available for 6 and 12-volt negative and positive ground systems.

legal in all 50 states and canada. (c.a.r.b. e.o. #D-57-22)

guaranteed for 30 months... we stand behind It!

Add info on coil #40011 from Pertronix. This 40011 is a 12VOLT COIL FOR V-8's OR 6 VOLT 4 and 6 Cyl. cars???

Something appears to be wrong!

Se top of attached page.

application_chart.jpg

Flame-Thrower HV & HC Application Chart

hv_hc_application_chart.jpg

Return to Ignition Coils home page

© 2007-2014

Edited by DJ194950

Just called Protronix and asked about the collar about the distributor lobes. He said if the unit has a part number with "LS" in it, it has a lobe senor which does not use the collar about the distributor lobes. Therefore part numbers without the "LS" do require the collar. News to me. Thought they all needed the collar.

Edited by suntennis

Just called Protronix and asked about the collar about the distributor lobes. He said if the unit has a part number with "LS" in it, it has a lobe senor which does not use the collar about the distributor lobes. Therefore part numbers without the "LS" do require the collar. News to me. Thought they all needed the collar.

I had posted that same info above about the LS6P suffix...however..I do not personally think there is a sharp enough lobes with enough rise from base circle on the distributor cam to trigger a good square wave...just my humble opinion..what is the lobe to sensor clearance as specified by Pertronix...? and can you achieve this air gap

Interesting. Perhaps the metal lobes just need a good cleaning in order to work properly?

Looking at the photo of this installation it does not appear that there is any provision for adjusting the air gap between the ignitor and the lobes. I suppose this gap has been accounted for in the mounting plate? My ignitor with the magnetic sleeve was similar in this regard......no provision for adjustment. All I can say was that mine was about as easy and painless an installation as I could ask for.

Jeff

She's running again!!:)

After putting the points back and charging the battery!

She fired right up!

Will give the pertronix another chance later on!

Hopefully pertronix will get back to soon so we can troubleshoot!

Thanks everybody for you input and help!!

That's good it's running again, there's always another day.......besides, your car is too good looking to not be out and about.

For what it's worth, I just installed a Petronix into my '48 Dodge last month.   I Thought I did it all correctly, but the car ran....as you say....lumpy.   like I had the firing order wrong.   So  I called the tech help line at Petronix.  They were very helpfull...my problem was that I had solid (metal) core spark plug wires.  Those solid (metal) core wires caused interference.   They suggested  I switch to carbon (suppperssion)  core wires, I did and now it runs fine. 

Hope that is of some help.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

As an example, your timing is set at 6 degrees before top dead center.  Retarding the timing would mean setting the timing closer to 0 degrees top dead center, Advancing the timing is the opposite, moving it away from top dead center to say something like 12 degrees before.  Advancing would make the firing of plugs occur sooner, retarding, occur later 

• Like 1