1949 to 1977 Rim Swap?

Hey Fellas,

Trying to get my rust pile on the road and one of the pressing items I need is tires.  I have a set of pristine original 4" x16" rims with all the hubcap clips (no tires) and another set of what appear to be 5" x 15" original rims that are missing half the clips and are pretty rusted out (on the truck now).  After reading the many posts here on tire size and selection I have decided not to go with the 4" narrow rims considering the cost/ride factors of tires.  No one seems to have any used tires to fit the narrow rim size.

There is a set of steel 7" x 15" rims from a 1977 Dodge van with decent tires for $100 avail. locally that seem like a great temporary solution. Has anyone tried this combo on their truck?  The seller didn't know the tire size but he is getting back to me with that information.  Do you think the 7" rim is too deep for our B-series trucks?  Possible issues with hitting fender wells or steering gear?  Are they too fat to muscle around without power steering?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm just looking to get it on the road with some rollers at this point, eventually going for white walls as finances allow.    

00202_i7inH8a7Kub_600x450.jpg

UPDATE:  The rims are only 15 x 6.5 and the tires are 235/75/R15's which I believe some of the guys were running on their trucks.  Just not sure of the backspacing from a '77 rim and the bolt pattern.  Any help appreciated!  Trying to look up now.

JT

• 2 weeks later...

I have Dodge Caravan 17" steels on my '47 Dodge PU right now. There's even a hole present for the drive pin that I made larger to fit. If I can get the old Dodge hubcaps to fit I may continue to use them.

I personally like the idea of using a MUCH later steel wheel from the same manufacturer that fits the antique hubs PERFECTLY and I can then purchase new or find good used tires to fit at any time.

Thanks Chrysler!

In my opinion, test-fitting is always kinda a pain but use whatever wheel you like or deem necessary.