Dodge Woody

46Ply

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously unimpressed.......A show like that isn't worth a whole lot as far entertainment value or intelligent conversation about classic vehicles.

48D

Two boring guys that ought to do something they know more about.

I think he was right.  When you're in the buy/sell business like he is, you have to consider the profit margin.  For the condition they were in, the cost to bring them to top dollar and what top dollar would be compared to the others brands, there was little profit to be made.

I somewhat agree, making money in the restoration game is pretty tough unless you have a very desirable vehicle, that being said...how many Dodge Woodys do you come by, and with the popularity now shifting more and more to Dodge with all the Chevys and Fords eaten up I'd think if the price was right it was a sensible buy. Maybe the guy wanted a fortune for it.

I think he was right.  When you're in the buy/sell business like he is, you have to consider the profit margin.  For the condition they were in, the cost to bring them to top dollar and what top dollar would be compared to the others brands, there was little profit to be made.

He didn't say any of that......just said  "not worth a heck of a lot....in the grand scheme of woodies...."    Didn't even know what year it is.

48D

That 1950 Pontiac convertible in the same video was in pretty decent condition too, and his assessment of it was no better than the woody.

They seem to have no appreciation for the cars at all, it's just about the money.

Let's face it.....he is very, very jaded. And then there is his ego. Can we just say that some of these guy's have shows for the wrong reasons?

I like his old mechanic Roger......and some of the cars he gets to play with. But he is not on TV for any other reason than the money... and his own ego.

Jeff

...and that is why I'm generally unimpressed with any "car" shows on TV. The real focus is about making money, or the drama between the guys working on the cars, or something other than the car or process of working on it itself. They don't really get into the details or show good shots of what they're working on so you can get a good look at it.

Same thing about Orange County Choppers - the majority of effort was spent documenting the fights between the Father and son, with the rest going to building the bike.

The two shows I actually appreciated were "Shade Tree Mechanic" and "My Classic Car", No longer on the air...

I saw this episode when it originally aired.  I thought to myself-what a pompous ass.   Go find another PH woody tucked away someplace if they're so common.   He says its "all about the cars",  really-its all about the money.   Just like OC Choppers that are about 10 miles from here.   Poster children for dysfunctional family relationships -never been there, never will.   

I was down at Macungie at our annual national antique truck show last week.  Just under 600 trucks, and tons of people.  I didn't meet anyone that I didn't like or identify with. Good old fashioned non judgemental truck folks.  They could take all these tv talking heads (the exception being Chip Foose, Ed China, and the guys on the Spike channel) and put 'em all together and still not have much for those with a grass roots interest in the hobby.

Edited by MBFowler

Tom, I agree, a bunch of identical any things gets boring, except $100,00 bills. I visited a salvage yard here in Hagerstown on Saturday. He had a very nice 1950 Plymouth four door. I didn't ask what his price was. The grill was "perfect".

Went to the " Woodies on the Warf" this weekend in Santa Cruz. I saw about 50 identical Ford woodies...Boring! I was hoping to see Charles Furman's Dodge woodie this year, but no luck.

Not to take anything away from any woody.......but I know what you mean about them all looking alike after a while. Compared to the Fords the Dodge woody just looks so much more interesting. I wonder what happened with Charles? He was on here a lot for a while during his build........then nothing? Hope all is well.

Jeff