Headlight Trim Rings (Bezels)

Surely this is not rocket science. Our Pilothouse trucks use the same sealed beam headlamps as Ford and Chebbie. Might the trim rings not also interchange? Anybody know if this works? They all secure with a single screw at six o'clock. Why, even Studie might interchange, Greg . . . . . .

The reason I am forced to wonder is that our two fravorite MoPar supply houses see fit to ask $40 EACH for Dodge bezels, while Chevy gets $25 a PAIR for theirs.

Any opinions on this?:)

I have both styles (F&RD) and Mopar. The dodge rings have a wire hook tab on the top that slips into a slot in the top of the headlight bucket-I'm pretty sure those used on the F&RD are attached in a different manner or I would have used them on my '52 1 ton. I have however been known to be wrong before though! Mike

I can't help you on the interchange question, but Neil Riddle (seaplym@hotmail.com) sells reproduction headlight rings for $69.95 a pair. I bought a pair and they are absolutely flawless.

Plus, he's a good guy. He lists a lot of stuff on eBay. Not cheap, but he sells high quality parts and accessories.

Regarding your mention of cost differences, this is the reason that people seem to throw chevy engines at everything that moves. I can find mountains of parts for a chevy 327 or 350 and get them pretty cheap. If it's Ford parts I want then it will cost more and if it's for a mopar engine, it's harder to find still and costs more. Those of us in the Dodge camp just have to be more dedicated. Doesn't make it right, but it does seem to be true. You want parts for a '51 chevy truck - no problem, there are lots of catalogs of new and repro parts. you want parts for a '51 dodge. big problem. I guess it's the price I pay for not being like everyone else. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I am a longtime admirer of classic trucks but a relatively new owner. Unlike most, I can't say that I ever really had a preference for one brand over another. Having said that I truly love my Pilot House and have become a big cheerleader for Dodge trucks. I do however find it somewhat frustrating that parts for those other brands are widly available. I am convinced that you could very easily build a new Ch**y or F**d soley from reproduction parts, but what is the value of what you end up with? Certainly not the sum of the parts!