Magoo is Coming Back Home

Howard Tarnoff

In June of 2011 I gave up on my 49 Plymouth and traded it off for a Streetrod.    Well the car has been sitting unused and I am in the final throws of buying it back.    Its now a personal thing.

The problem with the 49 is that it would run 49 consecutive miles but never 50.    On the third such occasion it happened to be in the 90's with Florida humidity in the 90's as well and we broke down in an area with no shade.    My wife said three strikes and your out so I made the deal.

My question is about my coil.    You will see in the attached photo the coil is on top of the inner fender well under an aluminum cover.    It is HORIZONTAL.

I have been told that oil filled coils must be vertical or the heat will cause the coil to break down.

I am also suspicious of the wire gauge used from Ignition to Coil and it may be smaller then #10 which Tom calls for.

Anyhow we are back and really want to get Magoo into reliable mode.

Hope everyone is well,

Howard

post-385-0-15491300-1433768728_thumb.jpg

Oil in the coil - to dissipate the heat?  The coil is a form of transformer.  Break the primary circuit (with the distributor points) and get a pulse in the secondary circuit (coil wire, rotor, spark plug wires and plugs). 

There are large oil-filled transformers hanging on the poles around here.  There was a fire-resistant oil additive that was found to cause cancer in California, so that, in demolishing buildings, fire-retardant transformer oil is treated like asbestos and other bad things.