THE MOST LIKELY REASON THE CLUTCH DOES NOT FULLY RETURN...

meezy

I was happily roaring along at 80mph in OD on the highway when I got off at an exit for a refreshment.

As I was shifting through the gears around town, I sensed a change in how the clutch felt. I pressed it to the floor to shift, when I took my foot off, it did not return to its normal resting position. It only sat a couple of inches above the floorboard. I had to use my toe to pull the clutch to where it was supposed to be.

The clutch does not seem to be burning or dragging, except a little as let my foot off to engage 1st gear... seems to be shifting ok. I suspect a spring is missing - but I'll be damned if I can see where used to be...

here are some pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRYXVUUkZBYXlxMGs/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRdGN6Y3VkbXdHVWc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKo5yPjAYwRVk5Dc3U5ZUNIWlE/view?usp=sharing
I am pointing to an area that has a lot of play... is that normal?
Does anyone know what the most common culprit is?
Does anything look obviously amiss in any of these photos?

Thanks in advance for any observations/opinions you may offer.

• Like 1

My clutch pedal only returns about 5 inches above the floor board. I checked the required movement of the clutch proper and concluded that the clutch returns the full distance to match the brake pedal it's a cosmetic thing, not a mechanical one. So I have not corrected the spring arrangement because I do not have to raise my foot very high to start or shift and my leg is appreciative.

• Like 1

haha. I would be ok with it too - except that 1st gear is a real problem... it's not just a matter of letting off the clutch - I have to actually pull it back with my toe in order to get the car moving. This is not a tenable situation.

haha. I would be ok with it too - except that 1st gear is a real problem... it's not just a matter of letting off the clutch - I have to actually pull it back with my toe in order to get the car moving. This is not a tenable situation.

Sounds like the over-center assist spring is not adjusted properly. Assuming a 1950 has one. That is exactly the issue I had with my '63 Dodge D200 truck when the adjustment got off.

Got a copy of the service manual?

• Like 1

I do! But the pedal has been fine for years... something gave today... I feel like something fell off or broke. If it wasn't adjusted properly, wouldn't the pedal have been giving me this problem for a while now??

Does anything look amiss to you in any of those photos?

Edited by meezy

When I do a lube job I normally wipe off the excess grease. In the photo where you are pointing to the dog bone shaped piece there is supposed to be a split bearing inside where you are pointing. Hard to tell in your photo due to the excess grease but it looks as if half of that bearing may be missing.

Clutch_linkage.jpg

• Like 1

haha... yeah - I got kind of carried away with the grease today... I thought there might be something binding in the places that I greased. I'll take a second look at that. Thank you.

Maybe you over greased the torque cross shaft and forced out one of the four bearing 1/2 cups. # 6-52-11

In one pic the half of the one of the bearing cups does look like it might be missing......the original ones from the 30's-50's were diecast metal however here in Oz the Oz Valaints also used a mechanical clutch and had those exact same half bearings in the same spot on the clutch mechanism but they were made out of neoprene/nylon, but same size etc as the metal ones but no greasing so if that's the problem they maybe available thru mopar still......andyd

• Like 1

In one pic the half of the one of the bearing cups does look like it might be missing......the original ones from the 30's-50's were diecast metal however here in Oz the Oz Valaints also used a mechanical clutch and had those exact same half bearings in the same spot on the clutch mechanism but they were made out of neoprene/nylon, but same size etc as the metal ones but no greasing so if that's the problem they maybe available thru mopar still......andyd

excellent. thank you.

The torque shaft looks crooked.

You also are missing the clutch arm return spring, hooks in the small hole in the end of the clutch arm and the small hole in the bracket with the triangular, end mounted on your bell housing.

Really!

I'll check that out again... Good lookin out! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so - the inner end of the torque shaft had NO BEARINGS and the pivot was quite worn. Replaced those. The outer end of the torque shaft felt good and tight and had both the bearings and the spring clip holding it together. I tighted a bolt here and there, greased it in the obviously needed places... but there's still a problem of this pedal not completely returning. 

I have noticed that the torque shaft looks unusually crooked. Check it out:

https://goo.gl/photos/aBgUc1Acodr6gSQY8

...and the pivot looks like it goes in at a weird angle:

https://goo.gl/photos/2PJR8oYVAc9839pM7

...and yet - I seem to have all the parts and all of them in the right place... this is stumping me... Please chime in!!

Engine position- bad motor mounts ect.

The pivot ball looks bent/damaged.

A tough part to bend!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya