Stubborn Rear Door

Oldguy48

I posted this yesterday, but the database issue deleted it.  Anyway,perhaps this post will help out someone with a similar problem.  The rear driver's side door on my P15 was becomig difficult to open.  I could open it about 1/2" or so, and then it would stick.  If I jiggled the handle a few times, I would hear a "click", and then the door latch  would release.  I found a solution however.  It's only a temporary solution, but it will do for now.  I applied a piece of velcro to the striker, and now the door latch releases like it should.  I guess the hinge pins have worn, allowing the door to sag a bit.

Prior to the glitch, Neil Hoback informed me that the striker is adjustable.  When the velcro fix is no longer effective, I'll try to adjust it, although I imagine those bolts really will balk at being disturbed. :eek:

post-527-0-51182200-1432919538_thumb.jpg

IF there is a need to adjust the striker..there is a reason for the event...did you/someone swing on the door and spring anything or is there play in the hinge pins...adjusting the striker is relatively short term fix to an apparent underling problem.  Sometimes the inability to release fully can be attributer to a sticking star rotor..with the door open, and the handle held down in postion to open the door, does the rotor turn freely without any binding?  and if it does and you then let the door handle up for closed position, does the star rotor lock and lock in the proper position..if you are able to move the star and it snap to a position..you have gummed up internals that require cleaning and fresh lube applied. 

• Like 1

You can find replacement n o s striker plates if you look at swap meets or watch eBay.  

I found some at the Hershey swap.  On a four door car, the plates can be criss-crossed

catty corner and will work, if I remember right.    Example......... r front will work on left rear

door also....................I think.   (Anyone else recall that part?)

Tim is right - that you should check the star and also see if your hinges have excessive wear.  

• Like 1

I just checked those items Tim suggested. The star rotor spins freely, and locks up firmly when the door handle is released. And I can't detect any play in the hinges by lifting up on the door, although I think it would only take a tiny bit of play in the hinge to cause a problem.

Wayne

My strikers and rotors are quite worn too. My doors had huge play in the hinges, due to two of the pins having risen from the lower holes. They were so loose you could lift the tail of the door 1/2" or more when open, yet I could still open and close the doors OK.