Introduction 1950 Chrysler Windsor

wolfy

All, I am excited to find this place.  I am new to Chrysler but not to 50's vehicles.  I am reluctantly selling my 52 GMC truck.  But with my growing family we can no longer all fit into the truck.  1st son is 4, 2nd is about 2, and now the 3rd a little girl will be here in about 6 months. 

Here is one of my threads for my GMC truck.  Enjoy.  http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=12386

I found this awesome example of a 1950 Chrysler Windsor.  It is supposed to have only 38k miles.  From what I see I would say it is accurate.  It sat in a garage from 1971 until 2014.  A guy bought it from the grandson and went through the car, got it running and driving safe.  His wife wanted a little sports car so he sold it to me.  He lowered the front a bit. 

I am sure I will have a lot of questions coming up about different things, but so far so good. Car runs and drives great. 

So now on to some pics.  I will get some more up soon!

My youngest son saying cheese

IMG_0448_zps8an5mkoh.jpgIMG_0446_zpsp94a67qz.jpgIMG_0447_zpscro3k0ve.jpgIMG_0444_zpsptcqyanj.jpgIMG_0445_zpsqavxwusm.jpgIMG_0443_zpshgsor95x.jpgIMG_0442_zpsllfe7mlx.jpg

• Like 5

Hi.  Welcome.  Kansas City, eh???   I'm in Joplin.

Nice car.  Looks like the previous owner updated the air cleaner from an oil bath to something

more modern.........

Have you purchased a Repair/Service manual  and  a Parts Manual yet?   Those are probably the

two very most valuable and helpful publications you can have.  Both used or reprints can be found

on eBay.   

The Ararat Shrine Club puts on a Kansas City swap meet twice a year.  They just had the first one not

long ago. It was held this year out at Lathrop, MO...   There is a Plymouth Owners Club chapter in

K C........... you might click this link to their website and look at "contacts"  --- call up one or two of

the guys and inquire about anyone they may know who has a Chrysler, or parts.  

http://www.plymouthclub.com/

That paint color looks good enough to eat. It would look good between a couple of hot marshmallows and gram crackers.

you know....give me somemore.post-32-0-51488600-1432934659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans

Real nice!  First thing I'd do is get that back seat cover repaired before it gets worse.  Welcome to the group.

Wow thank you all for the warm welcome!!!  I am super excited to get this car.  Can't believe the deal I got. 

The color is cool.  It does look like milk chocolate.  The previous owner said it was called tabaco brown.  I wonder if that is correct...

I need to have some foam put in the drivers side front seat, its a bit warn, but after 65 years I guess that is expected.  I will then have an apholstry shop fix up the other parts.  Other then the seams it is in great shape.  I need to have the drivers front arm rest repaired as well as its shot. 

Some of the other things that need addressed is to adjust the brakes, the pedal is to low for my taste, I like it high and tight. 

I would also like to drain and fill the auto trans oil.  I have a shop manual for the car and it calls for 10w oil if I remember correctly. 

I am sure I will have many more questions.  I have already driven it about 40 miles.  It is a blast.

The most urgent thing right now is to get 5 seat belts installed, so I can take my whole family out for a drive.  Any suggestions on this?  I just want the lap belts. 

Oh and the silly "cold" air intake.  The factory oil bath is in the trunk.  I will be putting that back on very soon. 

Thanks for the link to the plymouth club as well.  If you are in the KC area let me know! 

Edited by wolfy

Thanks. I will look into them. What size of belts is everyone running? 60" 75"?

Oh also is there anyplace to buy some original or reproduction fabric? Doesn't have to be the full covers. Could just be pieces. I know of a few upholstery shops in the area.

nice ride, is that the factory front bumper?   I luv the look of it.

Thanks, I like it too.  I assume it is the factory bumper.  I will have to defer to you all and ask if it is factory bumper. 

It is the factory two guard front bumper.

Depending on production month some 1950 chryslers had four front guards-the standard two inners and two outer guards.

Kinda over done and ugly with four.

A pic of my 1950 NY 8cyl. hardtop showing the same 2 guard front bumper.

Bob

post-302-0-88078700-1433346046_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is the factory two guard front bumper.

Depending on production month some 1950 chryslers had four front guards-the standard two inners and two outer guards.

Kinda over done and ugly with four.

A pic of my 1950 NY 8cyl. hardtop showing the same 2 guard front bumper.

Bob

WOW.........That NY'R is beautiful !     thx for the info...

• 10 months later...

Thanks. I will look into them. What size of belts is everyone running? 60" 75"?

Oh also is there anyplace to buy some original or reproduction fabric? Doesn't have to be the full covers. Could just be pieces. I know of a few upholstery shops in the area.

On my 50 Dodge I went with the longer belts in front and shorter ones in back.  I love the dash on those 49-52 Chryslers!

I love your car!  My first car was a 1950 Chrysler Windor club coupe dark blue with blue interior.  but yours is definitely better looking than mine!  Love that color and interior.  I rebuilt my engine in a class and put it in a boil out tank.  Someone removed the engine and set it aside.  When I returned it had started to rust so I sprayed metal prep on it.  I assembled the engine and got it started, not knowing anything about the oil pressure relief valve.  When the engine turned over, I jumped in the seat to observe the oil gauge.  The needle had pegged and broken off.  I just thought the it was broken, but the gauge was trying to tell me something.  Namely that the oil pressure relief valve had rusted shut and the engine couldn't relieve the high oil pressure.  I sold the car to guy in the Navy who was going to drive it back to Florida.  It blew the oil filter off half way across the country and he had to have repairs.  I always tell this story so others know to check the oil pressure relief valve on these flat head engines! 

• Like 1