Interior screws

vht

My 51 Dodge business coupe was all apart when I got it. Most if not all of the interior trim appears to have been installed with tapered machine type screws, does anyone know what size I'm going to need? Tapered or counter sunk machine screws are kinda hard to find so it seems.

I don't know the size of said screws.......but I bet someone here does.  

Do you have a parts manual for your car..........it might tell at least some sizes and types.

Do you have one of those "nut and bolt stores" around you anywhere?   They often have ALL sorts of things........   

Just went & checked my screw pile........the ones that I have used are various lengths, 1", 1.25, 1.5 & 1.75"......and are in packs that call them 8G & 10 G times the relevant length which I assume is for "guage".......I use a 1/8th drill bit........not sure about what style may have been used in the USA but our Oz Mopars used countersunk Phillips head screws with a button or curved top which are much harder to find than the normal flatheaded phillips screws which look crappy.......the correct ones I call Garnish Molding Screws and give a much more finished appearance.......so dunno if any of this helps.......lol............andyd

Part type code 23-22-8 “Door Window Garnish Moulding Screw” for P9 through P15 is either part 787918 (7/8" long) or part 787919 (1" long).

Looking at the poorly reproduced image in my copy of the parts book, it appears to be a Phillips oval head sheet metal screw. Can’t determine the size (it is not in my 1944 edition of the Standard Pars List). These look a bit like a flat head screw but have a slightly curved top surface as described by Andydodge.

Oval headed sheet metal screws are available but probably not at your local hardware store. I got mine (same type of thing but slotted instead of Phillips) from a boating supply called Jamestown Distributors.

If it's machine thread with a small tapered Phillips head top, they are called 'Jackson Head' screws.  I'd see if there is a Fastenal (fastenal.com) store near you and go there with a sample.

I bought mine from Totally Stainless (totallystainless.com); page 140 in their PDF catalog.

Marty