New Rear End 47' Plymouth Special Deluxe

nhostetl

47' Plymouth Special Deluxe

Will be a lot of trouble mounting a Ford 9" rear end? 
The leaf spring mount is welded to the axle.
If I cut the leaf spring bracket off the existing axle. Measure, etc and attach it to the new one will i run into any issues?

ALSO, the shocks on the rear axle are mounted at a 45 degree angle. Why is that? Is that accomplishing anything?

I know there are a lot of things I'd have to tweak. But looking for an overall guess on it?

Another question. I have a custom 15 gallon universal gas tank installed. There is a hose and what appears to be a vent that attaches above the axle to the underside of the body. Every time I fill it up all the way it leaks like nothing I ain't ever seen before. 
If i fill it up just about halfway I have no issues. Ideas?

I can address your tank issue.  I purchased a replacement tank for my P15 from "Tanks, Inc.  There was a threaded port in the top of the tank to install a vent.  But since my original tank was not vented, I just closed off that port with a pipe plug.  But, you must make sure that the gas cap you are using is vented such that the tank cannot develop an internal negative pressure (vacuum).  In other words, the cap has to allow air into the tank, so that as the gasoline level in the tank drops, a vacuum cannot occur.  And I have seen first-hand what can happen if the gas cap seals off completely. My Dad had a Dodge A100 van.  He lost the gas cap, and replaced it with another.  But the replacement was not vented, and the gas tank actually collapsed due to the vacuum created in it as the fuel pump performed it's job.  I'm sure others will chime in here concerning your Ford rear question.  Good luck.

Wayne

• Like 1

The gas cap I'm using is not vented. I tightened the hose and "vent" that is currently on there. If i can find a vented gas cap that looks nice I will cap it off and eliminate the problem if it persists. Thanks Wayne.

I forgot to add that I provided a hole in the trunk floor above the port for the vent for access.  And if my gas gauge fails, I can always remove that pipe plug, and use a "dipstick" to see how much gas I actually have in the tank.

Wayne

Edited by Oldguy48
  • Like 1

The shocks were mounted by mother mopar that way I suppose to work better in conjunction with the way the rear spring shackles allow the spring to move..........as for the 9" diff, mounting any diff into another car is straightforward so long as you know what to do...........lol.........the mounts for the spring may need to be removed, cleaned up, edges bevelled pinion angle checked and the mounts tacked onto the axle tube...the diff is temporarily mounted again, pinion angle rechecked in relation to the engine and if all good retacked to the spring mounts......everything is then removed and properly welded together..........are you a competent welder?......I've mounted a few using a normal stick welder and its no big deal.......however you also need to be aware that using too much heat can warp the axle housing which results in stuffed bearings etc at the very least........my 1940 Dodge uses a 1990 Oz Ford wagon diff, works well and allows 4 wheel discs.........everything is doable or learnable it just depends on your skill level.......have you done this before or do you have someone to refer to who has?.......I'm happy to answer questions but being in Oz its hard to be hands on......lol.........regards, Andyd

9" Ford come in a variety of widths so you will need to do your math ahead of time.  You can't just use any that you find unless you're good at shortening diff housings and axles.  Spring perches do not need to be cut from the original axle and moved to the replacement.  Leave that axle intact for someone who may be restoring.  New perches are available.  They may need to be removed from the replacement axle to properly locate new perches.  Also, be aware that the ring and pinion section of a Ford diff is not centered side to side.  They are offset which may make some trans tunnel clearance issues.  Current swap axle s of choice seem to be the Jeep Cherokee and the Ford Explorer.

Shock angle changes the effective dampening rate of the shock.  If the angle is forward, it also helps reduce spring wrap and is a compromise between controlling wrap and vertical axle movement.