Watching the movie "The Identical"

Don Coatney

Nice 50 Plymouth Suburban. Guy is working under the hood wearing a greasy T-shirt. Pulls out a carburetor that does not look like a B&B and says the valves are bad and the jets need replacement.  What I don't understand is how he can remove the carburetor without removing the air cleaner as the air cleaner is still in place under the hood. :confused:

Don Don Don..that is probably some Chevy carb that got sucked off and got caught into the air cleaner as he went flying by earlier...always following problems with jumping into random spots in a movie...else it was just lodged there in the engine compartment..you know how them chebbies just fall apart along the highways

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Surfing the channels. I ran across a picnic scene in the thirties or other way- back time, where the woman was applying mustard from a typical restaurant squeeze bottle, cylindrical yellow plastic.  I know that they had stiff plastics back then, but not son of Tupperware. .    

Don Don Don..that is probably some Chevy carb that got sucked off and got caught into the air cleaner as he went flying by earlier...always following problems with jumping into random spots in a movie...else it was just lodged there in the engine compartment..you know how them chebbies just fall apart along the highways

No LIE a chevy lost a wheel in front of my house today and later on the way to dinner there was an oldmobile van stranded with no RF wheel.

Ed's observance of local incidents being some 20 hours driving from me that what I observe is not just an isolated incident...as a professional mechanic years back..we loved Chebbies and Fords..they kept us in spending money....at the dealer ship all but one of the mechanics drove mopar..we were force to park in the very back of the facility out near the dumpster set aside of the body shop..no joke...they were afraid the customers would not buy knowing the mechanics don't drive what they service...

The biggest difference will be the maintenance involved (as was the norm of the day)  and probably some comfort level, but taken care of and used as designed (hard work daily) it will be on the road when all the others get recycled into?

And still be worth something when all the newer models won't!

:D

Here's my thought. In 1994 Dad bought a new dakota. In fall of 2000 he bought a leftover 2000 but still new GMC truck(full size). I'm still driving the dakota and his 2000 is gone because it had rust holes in the frame.

Well I drove a 76 GMC Jimmy from 81 until just a few years ago. Got more for it when I sold it than I paid for the old Dodge. And not once did a wheel fall off. Oh yes and the Jimmy a 2WD got a new engine.....the top removed.....and a new career as a film truck for the movie studios. Must be that weather you got back there?

I see this stuff on TV all the time too.  Stuff is written & produced by folks too young to know, or they simply don't care (artistic license, right?)

My favorite of all time is from the old Batman matinee serials, where Batman goes over the cliff in a low, turret roof whale-mobile of the late 40's but the car you see exploding a second later is a boxy early '30s sedan. Cool thing about that series was that Batman & Robin drove an early 1950's Olds convertible. No Batmobile in the budget.