COWL VENT DRAIN

Seaside Pete

Hi

Just looking under the dash on my P15 and noticed that there is a drain pipe from the cowl vent. However there is only the L shaped bend which is attached, nothing more. I think I might get my feet wet! Can anybody tell me what else there should be, and where it should route? If possible with a picture.

Thanks

Pete :confused:

The drain elbow from the air distribution box leads through the cowl and to a discharge hose in the engine comploartment.  See photo.

post-126-0-12844000-1432300563_thumb.jpg

Now, I found that with the air vent door open, and even with it closed, I would get a splash inside the car if the cowl vent was open.  The cowl vent closes on a gasket set in a channel.  I found that in the air distribution box there is a nipple that drains water from this channel.  I added a hose to dump the water to the  drain that connects to the elbow that dumps through the cowl.  Here's a photo of the drain nipple in the air distribution box.    

post-126-0-33519400-1432300923_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the drain tube that I added inside the air distribution box:

post-126-0-84576500-1432300982_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

OK, while we are on this subject, can someone tell me how to pull the cowl vent out of my P-6 so I can replace the gasket? I have not gotten under the dash yet but I know I need to do this in the next couple of weeks. I do know that the gasket doesn't clear the vent even when fully open. thanks

As an added aside to Donald's post above..the vent hood attachment screws are flared so as to not easily come out all the way...this is for a reason..so not to get dropped and lost when servicing..etc...do not try to remove them completely from the pivoting mechanism..once loosened, the assembly will slip out through the provided round holes above the screw slots easy enough..

My D24 does not have the cowl vent air distribution box.  It's cowl vent drain comes straight from the channel that the lid sits down in, so the drain tube just goes straight down and out through the firewall.

post-285-0-45734200-1432324670_thumb.jpg

My D24 does not have the cowl vent air distribution box.  It's cowl vent drain comes straight from the channel that the lid sits down in, so the drain tube just goes straight down and out through the firewall.

attachicon.gifDSC04470.jpg

I believe the man specified a P15 in the question...different model did various minute changes

attachicon.gifDSC04470.jpg

My P15 is like this too, as it has the small heater and no distribution box at all. My hose goes right through a grommet in the firewall and dumps on the ground alongside the trans.

Now my car was restovated in the '70s, and some parts might have been changed/tossed, but my hose/grommet/clip arrangement looks exactly like Dan's D24.

OK, while we are on this subject, can someone tell me how to pull the cowl vent out of my P-6 so I can replace the gasket? I have not gotten under the dash yet but I know I need to do this in the next couple of weeks. I do know that the gasket doesn't clear the vent even when fully open. thanks

Here's a photo of the cowl vent. There are slots in the screen for reaching the four screws that hold the vent in place.  

attachicon.gifcowl vent.JPG

atlbluz....this is NOT how to remove your cowl vent on your P6. I also have a P6 & the slots/screws are not as shown in the pic.

Am not sure if this helps but on my Oz 1940 D15, those screws are accessable from above or outside of the car, and they hold the vent onto the hinge but there is also an adjustable piece between the two sides of the hinge that's only accessable from below and has a screw or bolt joining the 2 pieces........so I'd first check when the vent is open but I'd think that you may find that there is also at least one bolt underneath, either way its a fun job......lol........andyd

Deathbound, you are correct that is not what is on a P-6. So back to my question, How do I get the cowl vent out to replace the gasket?

Not sure. Is removal needed to replace the seal? Let me know where you find one that fits. I ordered one from Steele & it was wrong, even though it was listed for a '38 Plymouth. I called them to let them know, they took it back & refunded my money (and STILL haven't changed it in their ebay store/listing).

Sorry to get OT Seaside Pete.

Deathbound...interesting that you also had issues with Steele Rubber I ordered a cowl vent seal from them for the 1940 Dodge, they sent me the right number item by their catalog, the right overall shape but the completely wrong profile and when I ring from Australia they just ************** me.........I was not a happy camper and WILL NOT recommend them to my worse enemy now.......I ended up getting one from either Bernbaums or Roberts/Mitchells.....can't remember now but Steele?.....never again...and I had to remove the cowl vent to get proper access to the area.....andyd

I'm thankful this came up. I had to remove the cowl vent from my car this week to replace the gasket.  Not really replace- A prior owner didn't want to go through the effort so they just scraped out the old gasket and filled the channel with silicone :(..  On the P18 the vent is secured by 2 screws on each side, accessed through the front screen, plus the rod that goes down to the handle under the dash.

The gasket came from Bernbaum and was a perfect fit

It used to be that Steele had a reputation for better quality rubber parts than Bernbaum, but that was 25 years ago, and things may well have reversed.

only in Steele own little world does that exist....their products are not as good as they claim their service is often very poor...they ability to fill an order correctly first time even less than good...but I am only one man with the experience in all matter above to rate them by....their attitude is less than good...they are the very last people I deal with and only when it comes down to them or nothing.....unfortunately a couple items are still solely produced by them.  I hate it when that is the case...

That's too bad. I remember the local Chevy guys really liking the Steele stuff, but I always bought from Bernbaum because I had an account there & they always had what I wanted too.

Everything I bought for the old Plymouth came from Bernbaum or Robert's or NAPA.

I'm going to go through this again: buying new rubber parts for the P-15. I'm so happy to see that it's all still available.