Official Drive Your Flathead Mopar To Work Thread

55 Fargo

Hi all, had to drive the ole Fargo to work this morning, had no choice as daily drivers were used by other family members.

The drive is 30 miles, mostly single lane highway, cool this morning near freezing temps, cruised at 55-60 mph.

I had a choice of this or my Polaris Quad.

I will post pics after work..............Please post your driving to work posts and pics....

• Like 2

This is an old pic, the vinyl roof was replaced a few yrs ago but this is outside of my shop, Scale Automobilia & Big River Book Exchange......it normally gets driven to work 1-2 times per week...........andyd

post-612-0-11390900-1432110663_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

No fair!  The D24 is 800 miles away!  That'd be one heckuva drive to work, but once I get it moved to the new digs, I'll be driving it to work at least once a week, weather permitting.  I'll probably need to finally get the heater working, too :huh:

I used to drive my DeSoto to work in Ann Arbor, Michigan, when the Rolling Sculpture Car Show was being held on the city streets.  I would convoy with some other DeSoto people from a Chrysler dealership where one of the salesmen drives one of the last 1961 DeSotos.  

Now I'm retired, but I just might go back this year for old time's sake.  42 miles to Ann Arbor, no big deal.  Drive home at night, no big deal.  The electricals are fine, headlights are bright.  

• Like 1

No work to get to anymore but my 51 Plymouth P22 business coupe is my everyday ride.

I must admit the R10 Overdrive makes these old drive trains alot more fun to use.

No sense in having them if their not used!

Doc

I can't drive to work as I am retired. However, I drive one of them nearly every day that is nice because I am retired. Does that count? :P

Same here!  The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off!   :D

• Like 1

Same here!  The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off!   :D

I know what you mean. Each week has six days of doing what you want and then you have to have a day of rest! :P However, as we both likely know, it is not really like that but I sure do find retirement to be the best job I ever had. Only problem.............you are getting older.

Well drove truck to the "Pen" my workplace twice this week, ran very well, absolutely no issues.

Today, went at 2:45 PM to pick up Son from Middle school 10 miles away, again runnnig well no issues.

I was driving down my gravel road, then some moron with his older Dodge  4X4 3/4 ton truck, big trailer with Kubota tractor is driving down road at about 60 mph, rocks and gravel flying everywhere as we met, my front the truck had some gravel shooting against it, I was ticked to say the least. My next door neighbour had his truck behind me a ways, he got a rock in the window, not impressed.

I drove down the highway, all was well, turned off to Sons school, then all of a sudden my rad blew, all antifreeze everywhere, engine temp right to 210, pulled over and shut it off.

Coolant everywhere, cause, rock stuck in rad, made a hole and well the end results.

I called a flat deck tow truck, no luck would have to wait 2 hours, called buddy, he towed me home with his van, on side gravel roads, and on the shoulder of a busy highway, not fun, got home cleaned up the mess.

I telephoned the perpetrator, and left him a mesage, about his driving habits and the end results.

Called rad shop, $350 to recore rad, oh well, at least the engine and head gasket seam fine started truck, it ran okay and started easy.

What the heck is wrong with someone who drives like this with a trailer and tractor on board on a gravel road. I am pi$$ed right off.

I am at work now for a 12 hour night shift.....yay

post-107-0-47715600-1432264118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Hasn't taken long to bust my bubble thinking folks might drive better in Maine than all the other states I've driven in.  There's just a lot fewer drivers in the first place, and they're not quite so rude about it.

How about drive your flathead "FOR" work?  I do small engine repair, and when I need to deliver a rider this is how it's done.

post-681-0-04565300-1432309910_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A couple summers ago I was visiting my Aunt and Uncle on my way to the WPC meet in Minnesota. My Uncle needed to get a couple pieces of soffit panel to a house he was building and it wouldn't fit in his van. I offered to haul it for him. I also helped him for a couple hours that morning, so I guess I did drive the Ol' Dodge to work that day. :P

IMG_0389_zpsac882271.jpg

I have also driven my truck to work a couple of times, but usually because I was heading off to an event right after work, and I wasn't going to need my company truck that day.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 2

Finally got the old girl running! Went straight to work after

post-7852-0-22370300-1432453635_thumb.jpg

Also saw this nice Dodge pickup the other day in the same lot!!

post-7852-0-90803800-1432453689_thumb.jpgpost-7852-0-11999700-1432453699_thumb.jpg

• Like 1