'40s Style Dodge Brothers Roadster (f/k/a "Floor-shift transmissions")

David Conwill

I started a thread on this topic over in the truck section, but haven't come up with all the info I need yet. I hope it's ok if I cross post over here:

Hi Folks,

As I stated in my introduction, I’m in the planning stages of a ‘40s-style hop up based on a Dodge Brothers roadster and using 90%+ period MoPar content.  After missing out on a complete engine / trans setup from a ‘38 Dodge passenger car, I’ve started thinking about other sources for a floor-shift 3-speed for this project.

1938%20Dodge%20engine%20and%20transmissi
1938 Dodge engine and trans

I was already planning to use the steering box, column, and wheel from a Job Rated truck, and it occurred to me that these vehicles used floor-shift boxes as well.  

1942%20Dodge%20Floor%20Shift_zpshmwzzqqj
1942 Dodge truck floor shifter

Were the ‘39-‘47 truck three-speeds related to the ‘37-‘38 passenger-car boxes?  How do the ratios compare?  Can you swap parts around?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Dave

Edited by David Conwill

Sounds like a cool idea. Can you post pics of the DB roadster? I don't have an exact answer to your questions. although it shouldn't be to difficult to find a 3 speed floor shift from a dodge or Plymouth. This should bolt right up to a 218 or 201 ci flathead. Provided of course that you have the bell housing and the other necessary parts. I would keep looking around online for engine and Trans packages. Check the classifieds section on here, Craigslist, eBay, and the HAMB forum. Good luck.

-Chris

I started a thread on this topic over in the truck section, but haven't come up with all the info I need yet. I hope it's ok if I cross post over here:

Hi David,  the truck tranny's are related, but not what you will be looking for. You will be likely for a "hop up" project be looking for a 1938-39  borg warner R7  3 speed overdrive transmission. I will drop you a note on some options for you.

Edited by timkingsbury

Sounds like a cool idea. Can you post pics of the DB roadster?

Chris,

I’m starting from scratch on this, but my plan is to dig up a ‘15-‘22 roadster body and mate it with the cowl of a ‘23-‘26 roadster or touring for a body that looks like this:

hybrid%20roadster%2002_zpsfl1jpegw.jpg

hybrid%20roadster_zpsudyifd5g.jpg

The engine plan is to get a pre-war 218 block and stroke it with a 230 crank and rods (though I have a friend who is trying to talk me into a DeSoto / Chrysler six with an F-head).  I’m taking inspiration from pre-war Ford hotrods, but using all MoPar pieces and some hop-up goodies from Edgy Speed Shop.  I want the whole works to look like it rolled off the lake bed at Muroc in 1942.

-Dave
  • Like 2

Chris,

I’m starting from scratch on this, but my plan is to dig up a ‘15-‘22 roadster body and mate it with the cowl of a ‘23-‘26 roadster or touring for a body that looks like this:

hybrid%20roadster%2002_zpsfl1jpegw.jpg

hybrid%20roadster_zpsudyifd5g.jpg

The engine plan is to get a pre-war 218 block and stroke it with a 230 crank and rods (though I have a friend who is trying to talk me into a DeSoto / Chrysler six with an F-head). I’m taking inspiration from pre-war Ford hotrods, but using all MoPar pieces and some hop-up goodies from Edgy Speed Shop. I want the whole works to look like it rolled off the lake bed at Muroc in 1942.

-Dave

That's awesome man. I'll be following along I really like this idea.

-Chris

Given that there was some interest in this project, I thought I’d show off a couple drawings a good friend of mine, Clayton Paddison, worked up for me last night.  This is an excellent representation of what I have in mind for this build.  The only deviation from what’s shown here is that I’m planning to run eight quarter-elliptical springs like a Miller race car instead of the stock parallel leaves.  Front axle will be '38 PlyDo tube, and the rear axle from a similar-era MoPar - hopefully with a 3.54 gear ratio.

Paddison%20Rendering%20top%20up%2005.21.

Paddison%20Rendering%20top%20down%2005.2

Oh, and I plan on '37 MoPar bullet taillamps and no Motometer.

Edited by David Conwill
  • Like 1

The ¼-elliptic arrangement should be interesting.

I heard a fellow refer to the arrangement as an "eight springer".  Here's the 1931 Miller V16 Speedster as an example:

793334.jpg

Looks awesome I'm excited to see this come about. Your friend did a great job on the drawing. Have you gotten any leads on finding the body?

-Chris

Not yet, but I'm fairly confident I can find one once I really start looking (no room yet).  They're probably the second-most-common roadsters from the era simply by virtue of their all-steel bodies.  The wood-framed bodies of their competition fell apart, but the steel bodies stayed together and survived.

• Like 1

If you start(ed) a build thread on the HAMB, post the link, I'd like to follow along there also.

This is going to be so cool! These are my favorite kind of cars. I'm working on one powered by a slant six that will be pretty similar, with some sixties parts. Best of luck and can't wait to see how it turns out!

A speedster would be another cool direction. Maybe with DB disc wheels and a Fast Four engine. A little earlier flavor than I'm shooting for. My inspiration is Ed Iskenderian's pre-war roadster, but scaled up to the DB body.

I'm contemplating the potential for expanding my search to include a '23-'26 touring car and fabricating a "turtletank" exterior fuel tank modeled on the 1915-'21 roadster turtledeck to replace the rear half of the body.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...