is a 1952 dodge truck a positive ground?

I have a 1952 Dodge B-3-B and it is a 6 volt positive ground electrical system.  Look for the red data plates on the starter and generator.  If it is red it is a 6 volt system.   

My battery positive terminal is grounded to the top of the transmission and negative cable is routed to the starter.

I believe that a green data plate indicates a 12 volt system.

Phil

post-7088-0-64401600-1432084921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I know I have a 6 volt system.  what happens if u run negative battery terminal to ground and positive to starter?  (P.S. I did this already and have started truck wondering what I all screwed up now?)

Unless you have a radio you won't hurt anything. Your Ammeter will read backwards and the ignition coil will be wired backwards, but will still function. Just reversed the cables and try again. You may need to re-polarize your generator if it polarized itself to the Neg ground way.

Merle

• Like 1

With a + ground, how do the plugs fire? The wiring suggests they still fire like a neg ground system, from the center electrode to the side.

That depends on how the coil is wired. When you change battery polarity you should also change the coil polarity by swapping the low tension wires on it.

• 1 year later...