BlueSkye48
Go to solution Solved by Merle Coggins,

I recently posted, but wanted to start my question fresh again since I feel like I made my own thread super confusing last time

Problem, Car wont start

Fresh parts, NEW battery cables and starter cable, NEW solenoid and Battery (6v, Pos Ground)

Rebuilt Generator, somewhat rececently Rebuilt Starter

I am getting a lot of clicking out of the solenoid (tried 3 different 6v solenoids) and no attempt for the car to start.

I'm really getting stumped with this, the starter used to crank over slow I took it apart and cleaned it up, it looks new inside,

and even tested well, it works on its own. any ideas on why it wont start would help, still not sure if there is a better way to ground the car or not

now have correct cabes from bernbaum, They are really nice and fabric wrapped! 

Also wanted to let others know that the $100 solenoid on the Andy Bernbaum site is the same as the $20 i ordered from O'Reillys Auto, neither of which fit the original bolt holes of my original starter solenoid but do have correct terminals

i endorse other products I've ordered on the site but the solenoid can be found elsewhere 80% cheaper

I didn't test them together but tested 3 seperate solenoids, and the starter works on its own

how do I turn the engine by hand? from where i mean

I bought the car in October,  generator rebuild in November started an ran like a champ (once or twice a month) till early April,

The problem I have is the Starter should be fine, like I said, i tested it out of the car, it worked very well, I also took it apart and cleaned it up, everything still looks new internally.

at that point I also got the new cables and upon installing it all, it went from a slow crank, to no crank and the solenoid started clicking very loudly. I then replaced it, new part clicked just the same.

took apart and reassembled the starter once more, still just clicked. Then I got correct gauge cable, (my error) and installed it, still Clicked, and finally another rip off of a solenoid Still just getting  the loud clicks. The starter was rebuilt before I bought the car, it shouldn't be the problem...

How old is your battery ?  They only last 4 or 5 year typically. 

Oops, I re-read your post.  Try some starting fluid.

Edited by Reg Evans
  • Like 1

Have your NEW battery tested.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good and since  6V batteries don't sell like hotcakes, it could still be an older battery that's sat  on a shelf for a while  and low on charge.  Are your new cables are 0 or 00 in size?

Have your NEW battery tested.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good and since  6V batteries don't sell like hotcakes, it could still be an older battery that's sat  on a shelf for a while  and low on charge.  Are your new cables are 0 or 00 in size?

i had the battery tested, and it also holds a good 6.2, it replaced a bad one in january

should be 0 from andy bernbaum

Try using a jump pack and bypass the solenoid. Neg cable to starter and pos to battery ground. It will help if the jump pack has an on off switch so you can bump it. This should point you to either the starter, solenoid or the eng. But first try turning the eng by hand, big wrench on the crankshaft nut. 

Joe

I was thiking you should be able to jump the solenoid from post to post to bypass it.........like we used to do when it went bad.

This one happens to be for sale in a certain place..............I assume the ones you've purchased look like this.

$_57.JPG

perform a voltage drop on the cables..report your findings

I tried this, seems to have a good positive ground to the block, full power to the battery terminal on the solenoid obviously (6.1v), and nothing on the starter side, even when hitting the starter button

turning the key does drop the battery to about 3.8 v but i assume that to be normal...

Try using a jump pack and bypass the solenoid. Neg cable to starter and pos to battery ground. It will help if the jump pack has an on off switch so you can bump it. This should point you to either the starter, solenoid or the eng. But first try turning the eng by hand, big wrench on the crankshaft nut. 

Joe

I will have to try this, but im pretty sure the engine is fine...

I was thiking you should be able to jump the solenoid from post to post to bypass it.........like we used to do when it went bad.

This one happens to be for sale in a certain place..............I assume the ones you've purchased look like this.

$_57.JPG

I tried jumping it post to post last time, and the connections kind of just popped/sparked, that was with old cable

and yeah, both new ones looked exactly like that, but are new, NOT NOS or anything still could only bolt down one side

also hoping to get a hold of my friend, who got my taillights working, he does a fair bit of electrical. 

These are what I have

post-7852-0-69120000-1432030709_thumb.jpg $100 @ Andy Bernbaums

post-7852-0-96428400-1432030711_thumb.jpg $20 at O'Reilly's

post-7852-0-71910600-1432030713_thumb.jpg Original

• Solution

I tried this, seems to have a good positive ground to the block, full power to the battery terminal on the solenoid obviously (6.1v), and nothing on the starter side, even when hitting the starter button

turning the key does drop the battery to about 3.8 v but i assume that to be normal...

That is NOT normal. A fully charged 6 volt battery should have 6.3 volts and you should never see the voltage drop to 3.8 when trying to crank. Either the battery has no capacity or only has a good surface charge. Another possibility is that the engine can't rotate and the starter is stalling out causing a high current draw, which will pull down the voltage, but not that badly.

Have your battery load tested and check that the engine can be rotated by hand. Either by putting a wrench on the crank pulley and cranking it over, or by turning the fan blade with the belt tight. You could also get under the car, drop the clutch inspection cover and try prying the against the ring gear with a large screwdriver/pry bar.

Merle

• Like 1

Joe

I found it does turn by hand and by jump pack the starter whizzes up nicely

I will try to check my grounds, (only one i know is battery to block, should there be others?) and have my battery tested 

so I worked it out, the battery i had gotten in march had failed, they replaced it and I put it in, all problems solved!

it is nice to have all the new parts though