230cui engine and 3 speed overdrive

Cpt.Fred

I have a New Process 833 overdrive from an 80s Chevrolet pickup and it requires a special bell housing.  The input shaft bearing retainer is a larger diameter than the one on the P-15.  The two bottom holes fall several inches below the bottom of the bell housing and if you have the pilot bearing retainer hole in the bell housing enlarged it will cut through the bottom of the bell housing. The input shaft is the same length as a Chevrolet transmission and would be hard to use an adapter as the shaft would be too short to reach the clutch disc.   I am still trying to figure a way to use this transmission as the ratios are very close to the standard P-15 over drive transmission.

So long as you have a flywheel for a 230, you can use your existing bell housing without modifications, at least that was my case when I put a 230 in my '41. The 230 flywheel takes into account the extra length on the 230 crank.

Also, the R10 I installed was a direct fit with the '41 driveshaft.

Jim Yergin

• Like 1

I have a New Process 833 overdrive from an 80s Chevrolet pickup and it requires a special bell housing.  The input shaft bearing retainer is a larger diameter than the one on the P-15.  The two bottom holes fall several inches below the bottom of the bell housing and if you have the pilot bearing retainer hole in the bell housing enlarged it will cut through the bottom of the bell housing. The input shaft is the same length as a Chevrolet transmission and would be hard to use an adapter as the shaft would be too short to reach the clutch disc.   I am still trying to figure a way to use this transmission as the ratios are very close to the standard P-15 over drive transmission.

Well  I hate to say this..  but the chevy transmission your talking about.. a) sell it or B) use it as a boat anchor.      I am talking a Mopar version..  have a check at my blog on the topic

http://p15-d24.com/blog/17/entry-91-solving-the-modern-overdrive-with-a-floor-shift-using-mopar-parts/

While its possible to get the 80s chevy one to work, it is way way to much work and I would have to know the exact model to tell you the gear splits for that tranny.  if you say they are close, I believe you.  I wouldn't be surprised, but it has too many other issues.. Shift to Mopar !

• Like 2

I'm currently running that setup in my 1940 Plymouth two door, 230, R10, and a 3.73 rear, but with a 55 dodge two barrel carb/intake rather than your neat setup.

From my experience, this is how mine was, it may not be correct or accurate, I didn't read books/manuals, just took what I had and made them work together.

It was a pretty straightforward conversion, as someone stated the 230 crank is a little longer. I took a grinder and ground the inside of my bell housing where the flywheel/pressure plate rubbed. It is important to use your original bell housing as the starter location was moved around and your clutch linkage interferes with starter on the later bell housings. I found a 55 230 and the ring gear teeth count matched the count on the blown 201 that was in my car. Some 230s do not have a hole in the end of the crank for the pilot bushing, that can probably be added but a 230 flywheel has 6 bolts rather than the 4 on the 201. My 55 block had an oil pan with the sump in the middle, it would not clear the front cross member and I had to reuse my 1940 oil pan. The 55 head was intended for a smaller temperature sending unit and the bulb for my 40 gauge wouldn't fit, I drilled and tapped the head to accommodate the 1940 sender. The thermostat housing on the 55 didn't have the bypass port and I reused my 40 housing and water pump. The 230 distributor is specific to the 230 and the shaft is releaved for the longer stroke, plus the number of degrees it advances are different.

The R10 overdrive bolted in and I was able to run the original 1940 driveshaft, there was a little linkage adjustment using the adjustments provided on the original 1940 linkage. My original speedometer cable was long enough to reuse.

My 1940 has 10 spline axle shafts that are longer than other years, the 3.73 I found had 10 splines and the third member bolted right into the housing. Don't know what year/make it came out of. I have a 3.56 out of a 55 dodge and it has 16 spline but will still bolt into the 1940 housing.

Hopefully this helps,

Andy

Man this post is gold right here.  I will be going through this process here shortly and this gives me a great heads up. 

plyroadking - did your 40 have a combination of a cable and a rod for the shift linkage?  That is what is shown in the book, but mine has two rods.  I have to get my temp gauge rebuilt, I wonder if its possible to put a different sized bulb on the end to match the new heads hole size/

Edited by Bmartin

The mopar 833 transmission may be a possible alternative for an overdrive but I have never read of anyone actually installing one behind a flathead 6. Would be nice if someone who has actually done so would post all the install details.