Braggin'

LAKOTA169

My 13 year old grandson, who 2 months ago was diagnosed with Sudden Onset Diabetes (type 1), is in the 8th grade and on the school track team and runs the 400 meter. A week ago at a meet, he broke a 20 year school record by running the 400 in 1 minute flat (1.00). A few days later, he beat the new record (his) by running it in 58.6 seconds. Today, he came in 1st place by running it in 59.66 seconds. The 400 meter is just a few feet short of a quarter mile.

• Like 5

WOW, the coach will soon have in on the relay team. Sure wish him well on his diabetes program. Tks for sharing.

He does run the 400 relay also. And the long jump. He also just started playing hockey in a non-school league this past winter.

Todays meet was the state regionals. Next come the state finals. Last year, he won 2 medals in the regionals and one in the finals. And he wasn't as fast then. I think playing hockey this winter helped him.

• Like 1

That's really cool. My son was 14 and a freshman in High School when we found out he was type one. Made him a stronger athlete. He had to prove to his coaches and himself that he was stronger then his disease. Pitched in High School on the varsity team 3 years. They took league all 4 years. Earned himself a scholarship to a four year college. Pitched there 4 years went to the playoffs senior year.We have been trough all the ups and downs.

If you have any questions send me a PM .

• Like 1

As a Dad, I'd always felt a bit deprived, having no sons, but "only" daughters. Still I couldn't convince myself to father more than 2 kids so I never tried for more. I'm divorced from their mother, and back when we were married I was criticized by her for not spending more time with my daughters.

Yet in the end they both ended up taking after me. For one thing,  they listen to classic rock and big band, where their mother is all country.  They can change the oil & filters, or change a flat tire without help. They both still skate, and they like motorcycles. Their mother never skated and always hated my motorcycles. 

My eldest daughter is a supervisor at the IRS, a pro photographer with years of studio experience, Summa cum Laude grad in education, fixes her own computers, and has learned to do board-level circuit repairs as well. She overhauled her clothes dryer, rebuilt her big screen TV when it died, & MacGyvered the faulty ignition interlock system on her Magnum when it wouldn't start. She has delivered me 3 lovely granddaughters, all studying music & science. The eldest is now at University High School learning Latin (OMG!) & plays in the orchestra. They all skate.

My younger daughter graduated Magna cum Laude in education & runs the front office for a national charity organization. She has 4 lovely daughters. She is a very strong skater on inlines. The day she told me she was divorcing her husband, she had really called me to say she found her power steering was leaking when she crawled under to change the oil. "Why isn't he changing the oil?" I asked? "He can't do anything. I'm divorcing him." This will continue too. Her new squeeze is some kind of chemist. He goes around to all the dairies testing milk. Nice guy, but I don't think he knows which end of the hammer to hold on to. She'll be the one teaching my granddaughters how to fix a flat tire.

Not yer average Valley Girls at all, which is truly how I expected them to grow up. Anyhow you can tell I'm plenty proud.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

In the postings for the state track meet, my grandson is listed as 2nd in the state!

WhooHoo!

I'll bet yer lit up like a ten cent cigar!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the State track meet. It was a chilly, rainy day. Bryce came in 2nd in the 400 meters, running it in 56.4 seconds. This beat his personal best time (and school record for the 3rd time this year). He also ran the 4x400 relay. The team was in third place with Bryce running the last leg. In the final stretch, he passed the guy in front of him and finished in 2nd place in this event also. The team also broke this school record. So in the end, he won 2 medals, broke the school 400 meter record, and help break the school 4x400 record. Sure am proud of this young man. :)

• Like 2

Please pass on my congratulations. Well deserved. Well earned. A great kid. A young man destined for greatness? Could be. This kid appears to have it all. Dang, he's even good looking, but we know where he gets that, don't we? Go outside and blow the horn long and loud.

• Like 1

Yes indeed, and be proud Lakota.   :)   It takes some real gumption for a kid to put out that kind of effort & be a winner.

Too many kids (and their parents) don't understand at all.  They take modern life at the least possible energy level: letting machines do all the work while they get fat and lazy. That was me 10 years past (lazy and fat) and then one day I read this quotation from some wealthy guy.

He said that the most common characteristic of intelligent and successful people was physical fitness. That was a definite game changer. Not that I felt particularly unsuccessful or unhappy, but I knew that everything in my whole life would be easier and simpler if I was in better shape. (It is too.) 

I have seven grandkids, and this is an idea that I promote to them all the time. Get out there and run! Get some exercise now. Fat people might seem jolly, but fit people are happy  people, and fit kids grow up to be happier adults IMHO.

Edited by Ulu
  • Like 2

I was never any good at sports. The only thing I did good in was drag racing. Not the big, high dollar kind, just the stock classes. Won a few trophies with my '64 GTO (and quite a few street races). My son was the same way in sports. But he was very good with music. Played in the school bands from grade school up through college. Was section leader in the Michigan State band. In his spare time, he tutors kids in the Plymouth Fife and Drum Corps. The city has just started a concert band, and he joined that. It was a pleasant surprise to see my grandson take an interest in track, and do well at it. My 9 year old granddaughter has been taking swimming lessons (and dance and piano), and last night, she passed all her tests and will be on a swimming team.

• Like 1

I remember swimming lessons.  The progressions did not have the fanciful names they do now, like tadpole, dolphin, etc.  

I came home once and announced proudly to my dad, "I passed my non-swimmer's test!"  Somehow it struck him funny. 

• Like 1