Startup and drive video- Still having shifting problem >:-(

ledfootslim
Go to solution Solved by Dodgeb4ya,

Had a very pleasant cruise down some of the local lanes. Installed the NOS interrupter switch and have rewired everything twice, all according to the manual, and have finally got it to shift in low range, but will still not shift in high. You can see and hear the shift in the video at about :46 seconds, but then it still doesn't hit fourth gear. From what I've read it should shift straight to fourth when you shift after it kicks down in low range, if that makes sense! Aaaaaanyway, enjoyed the drive and hope you guys do too. And if anyone has any advice, I'd really love to hear it!  :confused: 

• Like 2

And got some nice pictures in front of the old Logan Cave Community building. In the time that I stopped I ended up with half a dozen honey bees buzzing around in the car with me, thanks to the bumper crop of clover.

post-6801-0-72478500-1431750212_thumb.jpg

post-6801-0-04603700-1431750269_thumb.jpg

post-6801-0-34739400-1431750343_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I can't belive how quickly your car started.  My '48 Windsor has to roll the starter a bit more even when warm.

From you comments, I am assuming you have the Fluiid Drive option on your DeSoto.  I have that on mine and was having issues as well but it was getting the car to downshift.  Search for my post and you will find that someone posted links to some old training film strips.  These helped me a bunch and I replace the harness.  Check the govenor and make sure that the inner top is installed correctly as it my be upsidedown from some one else looking int it in the past.

• Like 1

I can't belive how quickly your car started.  My '48 Windsor has to roll the starter a bit more even when warm.

From you comments, I am assuming you have the Fluiid Drive option on your DeSoto.  I have that on mine and was having issues as well but it was getting the car to downshift.  Search for my post and you will find that someone posted links to some old training film strips.  These helped me a bunch and I replace the harness.  Check the govenor and make sure that the inner top is installed correctly as it my be upsidedown from some one else looking int it in the past.

Cool, I'll be sure to check that! And the best investment I ever made was the Optima six volt. Now Lady starts faster than most of my twelve volt cars especially after obsessively cleaning all electrical connections and grounds. 

Cool, I'll be sure to check that! And the best investment I ever made was the Optima six volt. Now Lady starts faster than most of my twelve volt cars especially after obsessively cleaning all electrical connections and grounds. 

Are we saying that all things being equal, a Optima 6Volt battery made that much of an improvement?

I was impressed with how fast it started too.  Would this be the one:  http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-FFP-Starting-Battery/dp/B00E16LTTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431796642&sr=8-1&keywords=6+volt+optima

• Like 1

Are we saying that all things being equal, a Optima 6Volt battery made that much of an improvement?

I was impressed with how fast it started too.  Would this be the one:  http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteries-8010-044-FFP-Starting-Battery/dp/B00E16LTTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431796642&sr=8-1&keywords=6+volt+optima

Definitely- the standard battery I had would start the car, but it turned over inbelievably slow. This one spins it like a twelve volt. And yes, thats the one! I know a lot of people don't like them for various reasons, but every six volt car I ever own is getting one.

I haven't driven one of these in a long time, but I think you're taking off in low range (1st and 2nd) and then moving the shift lever to high range. It sounds to me like you're in 4th gear after the shift to high. Have you tried taking off from a standstill in high range (3rd gear) and getting the shift into 4th? If my memory isn't completely wrong, the 3-4 shift would feel comfortable between 25 & 30 MPH. Other's with current experience please correct my faded memory as needed.

• Like 3

I haven't driven one of these in a long time, but I think you're taking off in low range (1st and 2nd) and then moving the shift lever to high range. It sounds to me like you're in 4th gear after the shift to high. Have you tried taking off from a standstill in high range (3rd gear) and getting the shift into 4th? If my memory isn't completely wrong, the 3-4 shift would feel comfortable between 25 & 30 MPH. Other's with current experience please correct my faded memory as needed.

I agreee. If you start out in low range (1st and 2nd) and manually shift to high range (3rd and 4th) it will go directly into 4th. Slow down some than floor it and it should downshift to 3rd than up shift to 4th. If you start out in high range it will shift up to 4th.

Earl

• Like 1

I agreee. If you start out in low range (1st and 2nd) and manually shift to high range (3rd and 4th) it will go directly into 4th. Slow down some than floor it and it should downshift to 3rd than up shift to 4th. If you start out in high range it will shift up to 4th.

Earl

Thats the way I thought it should work. I generally take off in third but I haven't ever felt a shift into fourth like I can form 1st to second. It doesn't matter whether I'm going straight up a hill or down it, 45 is pretty much my top speed. I have the carb adjusted pretty fully open, so I don't think its starving for gas. And when I let off the has at 45 or so it jerks and slows down very quickly, so I really don't think I'm ever getting into high gear.

Is your idle speed correct? Too high of idle and it won't shift. The idle speed is very low compared to modern cars. Don't recall the speed. I will have to find the link to a good a Chrysler tech video on you tube.

Is your idle speed correct? Too high of idle and it won't shift. The idle speed is very low compared to modern cars. Don't recall the speed. I will have to find the link to a good a Chrysler tech video on you tube.

Thanks Earl- love those old Tech videos. I have seen this one and quite a bit is applicable for my year. And I am idling at a little under 450 I would say, much lower than I can get more modern vehicles to idle. It seems like since it is running and starting so nicely and seems to be shifting right???? that I shouldn't have this irksome top speed of 45. I can't think of what else could be troubling me, though.

Someone put 6.00 rear gearing in it? Lol I think there is a way to run the car and see if it's shifting. You put rear on jack stands and run the car looking through floor access hole and see if the rod moves. You pull the switch out to see this. I think it was in the video.

Did you do the simple stuff? Check/change the trans fluid? Make sure it has the correct fluid? I believe it's 10w oil. The fluid coupling takes different fluid. I recall there are 3 holes. One is a drain, one a level and one a fill.

Maybe there is an issue internal??

Earl

• Like 1

Someone put 6.00 rear gearing in it? Lol I think there is a way to run the car and see if it's shifting. You put rear on jack stands and run the car looking through floor access hole and see if the rod moves. You pull the switch out to see this. I think it was in the video.

Did you do the simple stuff? Check/change the trans fluid? Make sure it has the correct fluid? I believe it's 10w oil. The fluid coupling takes different fluid. I recall there are 3 holes. One is a drain, one a level and one a fill.

Maybe there is an issue internal??

Earl

Haha, the rear end thing might be possible...... No it's the stock one, 3.54 I believe. I've tried it on jack stands and still didn;t get a shift. What switch are you saying you pull out to see this? And I have the fluids full.

Well, the only thing I can gather from this is that maybe the connections have to be soldered. I am just using crimps and star washers, but if I'm getting a shift in low gear it seems like it should be working. 

I installed a new distributor rotor thinking it might help the initial hesitation on acceleration since the old one was a little loose. I haven't really tested it with all the rain we've been getting.

mine makes the 3 to 4 shift at about 18 mph. If the idle is too fast it wont shift. I hear an audible click when it shifts. If you dont hear it your not shifting. Should run well over 45mph. Mine is 50 dodge with gyromatic I've seen 85 in it and could have done more.

• Like 1

mine makes the 3 to 4 shift at about 18 mph. If the idle is too fast it wont shift. I hear an audible click when it shifts. If you dont hear it your not shifting. Should run well over 45mph. Mine is 50 dodge with gyromatic I've seen 85 in it and could have done more.

I can hear the click when it shifts in low gear and it sounds like it should shift again at about that speed. I'm not sure if this is an engine or transmission problem at this point. My idle is very low, just a little above dying.