’40 Roadking Coupe Build

Bmartin

I have finally been making some progress and I grabbed a few pics. 

post-6367-0-85960700-1465756934_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the Cherokee 8.25 in the back with the new driveshaft.

post-6367-0-33248700-1465756943_thumb.jpg

One of the other side of the engine.

post-6367-0-64192400-1465756951_thumb.jpg

I have started it and let it run for about 15 seconds so far.  No coolant yet.

Here is one of the interior.  I found a beat up floor board at the junkyard and got it to fit good enough, then I cut out the section over the brake master and shift linkage.  Now I can make changes easier and see it while test driving. 

post-6367-0-95745600-1465756960_thumb.jpg

Here is another of the interior.

post-6367-0-41301000-1465756968_thumb.jpg

I still have some big hurdles.  The starter is not engaging properly about 50% of the time.  It grinds on the flywheel.  So far I've increased the engagement of the bendix with no change.  Next will be to have someone start it while I'm under there and maybe I can see the issue. 

E-brake cable routing is becoming an issue since the car is lowered.  There's no room for a large bracket above the drive shaft and the cables I have grabbed from the junkyard have not been long enough.  Plus its difficult to get a smooth transition from the middle of the car over to the left side of the tranny to pick up the stock cable - so binding is an issue.  I saw a rear disk explorer at the junkyard and it had all the cables down the driver side.  So I may go that route if I can make it work with the 8.25. 

Carbs are leaking fuel at the base when running, so need to sort that out. 

Then its off for exhaust, then hopefully A/C.  I still need to identify someone who can do the A/C install, I have no interest in doing that myself. 

What year Cherokee & ratio? What is the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface dimension? Nice work so far.

nice, Brian! :cool:

engine looks great, and so does the side view with the nose on!

that is one funky interiour upholstery... do you plan to change the door covers as well?

and where is that steering wheel from? it's different from mine, it seems.

nice, Brian! :cool:

engine looks great, and so does the side view with the nose on!

that is one funky interiour upholstery... do you plan to change the door covers as well?

and where is that steering wheel from? it's different from mine, it seems.

Here Fred:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/41218-48-wheel-in-a-40-trim-piece-or-column-adapter/

What year Cherokee & ratio? What is the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface dimension? Nice work so far.

I think its from a 92, but the place I bought it from wasn't sure.  They scrap about 10 XJ's a week.  The current ratio is 3.55, its the easiest to find.  I'll start with this ratio and have it regeared if needed.  I want to go with as low a ratio as possible to slow down 1st gear.  Cruising with the stock 3.90's was a real chore and my leg wore out after a single lap.  Since I plan on trying some 5.60R15's, I'll wait and see what its like with the smaller tires before I make a decision.  I think the 3.55's would make a good highway ratio, even with the O/D. WMS was about 59.5" IIRC.  http://jeep.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Jeep_axles

Guys the interior was like that when I got it.  It reminds me of an old couch and is almost as comfy.  The door panels will remain for now because the interior is 'done' and that is not that common.  Its usually the last thing to get completed.  I'd get the door panels and rear deck recovered but there is no way to match the vinyl.  It has a marble effect to it that would be impossible to find and its on the seat as well.  The 90's 3D graphics are not my style but they don't show up near as well as they do in the pic, thankfully. 

Edited by Bmartin
  • Like 1

Guys the interior was like that when I got it.  It reminds me of an old couch and is almost as comfy.  The door panels will remain for now because the interior is 'done' and that is not that common.  Its usually the last thing to get completed.  I'd get the door panels and rear deck recovered but there is no way to match the vinyl.  It has a marble effect to it that would be impossible to find and its on the seat as well.  The 90's 3D graphics are not my style but they don't show up near as well as they do in the pic, thankfully. 

Glad you are keeping it. Sure is unique.