53 B4B Brake update

Hello all,

New to the forum. I'm about to start restoring a 1953 B4B pickup that used to be mine but is now my dad's. It's been sitting for about 10yrs. I'm starting with the brakes.

While I can find most parts except for the drums, I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile (and safer) to just update the front and rear-ends to something newer. Has anyone done that or does anyone know what will fit with minimal modifications? Forgive me if this has already been discussed. 

Thank you

I know some here have used Scarebird brake conversions. Others, including myself, have had good success with Rusty Hope disc brake conversions. www.rustyhope.com The owner of Rusty Hope, Charlie, is a member of this forum and is very helpful if you run into a snag.

For the rear brakes your best option for newer brakes would be an axle swap. Use the search function at the top of the page. You'll likely find many posts on this topic. It seems that Jeep Cherokee axles are a good choice. 

Good luck with you/Dad's truck, and welcome to the family.

Merle

When I was changing king pins, I took the spindles and both hubs/drums off of a 1970 Dodge 1/2 ton truck.  Still drum brakes, but they are "self adjusting" and I have no problem getting parts for them.  I was unable to find a donor with the 11" brakes, but they are out there.  To me, an added bonus was having all right hand lugs put in when I had the drums turned.  For the rear, I have a 1990 Dakota 8.25 diff.  Once again, newer hardware I can easily get parts for, all right hand threaded lugs, and no lug bolts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

nice information. I will look into those options also. I went to Hollywood hot rod they wanted 12k to put in  disc brakes and suspension. I like the knowledge within this family . 

nice information. I will look into those options also. I went to Hollywood hot rod they wanted 12k to put in  disc brakes and suspension. I like the knowledge within this family . 

I went with 4 wheel disc brakes and a better ratio for exactly a tenth ($1200) of that quote in parts. That included a 3.55 disc brake rear axle out of a 2002 Grand Cherokee....the Rusty Hope conversion on the front and all new rotors, pads, M/C etc. No IFS......but it sure stops when and where I want it to. Best of all it still looks bone stock until you remove the wheels.

Jeff