Cross country trip

pflaming

I think that allows you to determine the size of a pipe, by measuring the thickness of the flanges.

I think the leaves tell you if the gasket is compressed enough (go-no go gages)

I just noticed that pictures I thought I had posted are no there. I wonder why not? Here is someting iwe saw a lot of. They are threshing machines, by putting a cutting header on the side it became a mobile machine called a "combine".

. Threshing machines

. Grain binder. McCormick built the first on.

. The combine eliminated the above. It is essentially a threshing machine and a grain binder combined, thus the term "combine".

I vaguely remember the threshing machine even though it was obsolete before my time.

The bottom machine is a row crop binder, corn primarily.

Edited by pflaming

I'm younger than you and I can remember them in use.  Threshing crews would go from farm to farm,  all the neighborhood farmers participating, some loading the shocked grain onto wagons or pitching the sheaves into the thresher and others, building the straw stack.  The farmer's wife was expected to feed the entire crew while they were there, often several days in a row, before the thresher and crew moved on to the next job site.

Edited by Dave72dt

• 2 weeks later...

Random things that caught my eye. Clouds and blue sky's, sunflowers, 50's filling station with older car, wall art, old cars. The trip was certainly one of the highlights of the last decades of our lives. May do another trip this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wind machine profitability according to fellows I visited with at the construction site. Their claim was that due to the steady amount of wind in their locality, they are profitable, but due to their initial cost and upkeep, many wind fields not so. I have an acquaintance in Maine whose company is perfecting a two way water pump generator, powered by ocean waves.

Topic change, I got one speeding ticket on our trip. Driving across the top of North Dakota, I set the cruise at 80 mph for two hours, I didn't quite get slowed down driving around one small town and hit radar ar 74 mph. The officer ticketed me at 65 in a 45. I sent the fine in to the state a walloping $25.00! I haven't received any notification accordingly from calif DMV. . . .

A couple reminder pics, those machines are huge!

saw a documentary film on the big wind generators from in plant production to the rise in the sky...massive and with all the very weight involved you got to give them the credit due to be able to generate power in such low velocity winds given the very mass the wind is turning much less the resistance of the driven gears and generator itself..

the tidal generator might not come into effect...they been way too many years on that and not much news yet on their advances..