Cross country trip

pflaming

Head straight for downtown Concord,MA Paul. Plenty to do for a few hours down there. Also don't forget to drive through sleepy hollow grave yard and visit "authors ridge" where several well know thorovian era compatriots are interred. Then from there follow rt.2A over to the battle road visitors center in Lexington, MA. I get out of work at 4:30, will endeavor to pick up the Plymouth and will call to see where you are in that area and come to lead you to camp.

• Like 1

Some observations: motel recommendations are made by guests of the sane economic level, so that their expectations correspond to their responses. We rejected one motel that had very positive responses but the reality was quite different and I'm not all that fussy, old patina is not a deterrent to me. Lol. Mid week prices are essentially summer prices. The geography supports the theory that some how the earths crust may have broken which resulted in massive water movement, floods, burst temporary seas rushing to to equator cutting canyons and gorges as it rushed down, I.e., Noah's flood theory.

In short, if my health holds this will not be my last cross country trip. Goal, Maine on Thursday.

The rifle and pistol display at Gettysburg was impressive.

I must say Paul that I am thoroughly enjoying following your (and Darlene's) journey, and have really appreciated the photos posted as you go.

But there has been this niggling question that has been in the back of my mind the whole time... 

.... did you finally ditch that crappy camera of yours that always took blurred photos as your recent photos appear much clearer?

Had a great evening with Darlene and Paul last night. Took them to supper at Paparazzi in Concord, MA., then stopped to show him the Plymouth.  They followed us to our honeymoon sweet over in Lancaster by the lake, where we left the weary travelers for the night.  I'm sure Paul will post evidence of same.

• Like 1

Yes, new camera and trip pics from an ipad. Marks Plymouth, a real beauty. We had a fantastic evening with Mark and Tracy. The other picture is an armadillo uke. Took that pic for Plymouthy.

Now in Maine with our children and their children.

The first two pics are self explanatory, the other was taken from our son's dining room window, it's my favorite spot. The river is the confluence of the Kennebec and Eastern Rivers. The width of the rivers at this point is 1/2 mile.

No dillos out here.

Now that I have the experience of the outbound leg, I am redoing return drive. The cornerstone of that drive is two days on mackinac island, July 31 / August 1, two nights. So the run will be something like bath to Battlesboro, Vt :: to Niagara Falls, :: to Flint MI :: to Mackinac Island, :: to Winnipeg, Canada :: to Yellowstone to .... Not sure from there. Will update later. We love to meet forum members as we travel.

Mark's car collection, and a couple of random pics.

• Like 1

I googled routes to Mackinac Island from Niagara Falls, Ontario.  No go.  No cars on the island.  Catch a ferry from the lower or upper peninsula. 

From Niagara Falls, Ontario, skirting Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, crossing at Sault Ste Marie (pronounced soo saint marEE) to the Upper Peninsula, to St. Ignace (IGness), to catch the ferry to Mackinac Island (pronounced MACKinaw) - 8 hrs 45 min.

From Niagara Falls, Ontario to Sarnia, crossing to Port Huron to the Lower Peninsula, to Mackinaw City (pronounced as it's spelled), to catch the ferry to Mackinac Island (MACKinaw)  - 7 hrs 10 min.  Slightly longer via Windsor and Detroit (pronounced deeTROYT, DEEtroyt, or if you are from Windsor, deeTROYott - 7 hrs 51 min.

Your choice.

For the Mackinac Island ferry, you leave your car on the mainland.  You can get secure parking, so that no one messes with your car.  

(Edit, Fourth of July:) If you go to Mackinac Island (MACKinaw) from Mackinaw City, you will return to the same city to get your car. Then you can cross the Mackinac Bridge (MACKinaw) to da U.P.

Our kids sent us to Mackinac Island for our fiftieth wedding anniversary.  (It's not the fifty-year anniversary. Scream!)  Afterwards, I e-mailed them in my most eloquent book-report style:  "We rode on a boat.  Twice.  We rode on a wagon drawn by horses.  We walked a lot.  We had fudge.  It was fun."   

Edited by DonaldSmith

I did a quick study of the drive on the north side of lakes Huron and Superior Canada as Don suggested. Now that drive looks very interesting. I appreciate the suggestions, TKS. Some pics of buildings on Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. Saw a musical there last night. Also a nice motorcycle outside.

Years ago, my wife and I visited Mackinac Island and I observed the guys sweeping up the horse droppings. I remarked that sweeping up horse poop seemed like the ideal second career for me. No thinking what so ever, see horse poop, sweep it into a shovel then to the wheel barrow and move on to the next one. My wife answered back the I have shown no aptitude for that job because our dog does that every day and you never touch the stuff!

The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw is located "Somewhere in Time". Pun intended. I have a good friend who was the top bell at the Grand for many years. When the movie was made he is listed in the credits as (location coordinator) / (production assistant). Enjoy the ferry ride to the island. When the ferries sound there fog horns the vibrations are such that all the church bells on the island ring.

http://www.grandhotel.com/30th-annual-somewhere-in-time-weekend/

Don..I figured you would be more interested in the blode that like to have her hands on old men's butts

that be a mastiff....strong as an ox...gentle as a lamb

I was a bit more intrigued over just what vehicle was rolled down the narrow ramps....maybe stage coach? Amish buggy...???

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Highly likely the antique fire pump with the wagon wheels rode that skinny ramp.

cool bus! Love the patina... Maybe dump the Accord paul, buy that bus and drive it home!

Enroute to Winnipeg, Canada I'm thinking of heading north to International Falls from Duluth, then through Lake of the Woods area from there, rather than via central Minnesota, anyone know that area? We are enjoying cool Maine, 75 degrees, occasional showers, no humidity yet and very few bugs. Gonna hate to leave.