46 DODGE HALFTON TRUCK STEERING

Can anyone please advise me on the following. I recently took out the modern tilt steering column that had been fitted to my 46 halfton Dodge truck  and replaced it with an original 46 column and steering box only to find the pitman arm had also been changed and was a smaller spline  than the original one .I now need to find a pitman arm to fit and wondered if anyone could advise which year and models would fit. I also need to find an original steering wheel and wondered wether the later b series trucks had the same size spline. Regards Graham Cook  ( England )

I think there is an early and a late during 39-47 model run. Besides this forum(don't leave) you should also belong to the 39-47 dodge truck yahoo group

There are two possible pitman arms for your truck . The first one is part number  589748 . All of the following interchange models are for 1941 through 1947 trucks . The WC ( 1/2 ton ) up to serial number 81134613 Detroit built , also up to serial number 9219033 L A built .  The WD15 (3/4 ton )  up to serial number 83300003 Detroit , also up to serial number 85500010 L A .   WD20 , 21 ( 1 ton )  up to serial number 81211558 Detroit , also up to 8600352 L A .    The other part number it could be is 1092196 . This is found on the WC after serial number  81134613 Detroit built also  after serial number 9219033 L A  .   The WD15 after  serial number 83300003 Detroit and after serial number 85500010 L A  . WD20 , 21  after serial number 8121558 Detroit and after serial number 86000352 L A .        The above was edited for errors . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

Thanks for the info. I am not sure how i will identify which one will fit though as the steering column and box were bought and not original to the truck. Do you know if the difference lies in the spline size or is it shaped differently to connect to the drag link ? Many thanks Graham.

Can you find out the serial number of the truck that the steering column is from ? From the seller of the column ? I don't have any more information on this . It might help to count the splines that you need to match and then post on the 1939 - 1947 dodge truck  yahoo group site . Some of those guys have lots of spare parts . Does the seller of the column also have the pitman arm to fit ?