Maybe a newbie dumb question 251 engine

52Suburban

You probably know that the 251 is approx. 2" longer than the 218 and 230. You will have the move the radiator forward and probably take a chunk out of the cross member to clear the damper pully.  I installed a 251 in my 52 Dodge 1/2 ton and that's what I had to do.  Don Coatney here on the forum has a 251 installed in his P-15. Visit his photo bucket for some detailed photos.

That engine is too long to fit in your US Suburban without modifications. That is one of the joys of working on old Mopars in Canada. From 1938 onward all Canadian cars have the longer engine. I am running 251's (25" long blocks) in both my '38 Chrysler and my '48 Dodge D25 which is the same as a Plymouth but with Dodge trim. Radiator supports and the front cross members are different than on US cars so the longer engine drops straight in. Sure makes looking for an engine easy if you need one.

Good luck with your search and your project. Nice to see the car is going to have a flathead!

Edited by RobertKB

Ah come on Robert...my V8's all have flat heads..else I would be blowing head gaskets every time I start it up...

Tim, you know what I mean! No valves in the head. Only spark plugs in the head. No moving parts in the head. Like a crew cut.....a real flathead! :P