what IS this??

belvedere666
Go to solution Solved by belvedere666,

It helps keep dirt and bugs out of the crankcase too. They'll go straight in a hole much easier than way up a tube, turn, & then through a hole.

The one on my flathead Pontiac actually had a filter on it, similar to the oil breather cap, to help keep dirt out.

Yes mopar went to a filtered one too

that's what Deathbound's looks like. one of his pics has a mesh looking filter/screen that looks like inside of an oil bath air cleaner. i bought the one from ebay. it was inexpensive enough and it looks a lot like Don's in the picture he posted. it should be here by friday and 'll post pics and in the meantime, i'll hope it's the right piece.

The pipe on my 49 fits into a canister that has a mesh filter inside. The bolt holding the canister to the block goes through a hole in the cover that comes off so the wire mesh filter can be cleaned

Exactly what mine is....looks like a small canister (with screen & mesh) with a cover plate the bolt goes through to hold it on the engine. It has a clamp for the tube. My car is a '38, the other type (tube only, no canister/filter) mentioned in this thread are said to be for later cars. Seems they went backwards in design????

• Like 1

Exactly what mine is....looks like a small canister (with screen & mesh) with a cover plate the bolt goes through to hold it on the engine. It has a clamp for the tube. My car is a '38, the other type (tube only, no canister/filter) mentioned in this thread are said to be for later cars. Seems they went backwards in design????

good point. backwards, for sure if there is no filter. so it's just kind of like a dump tube. eventually i'll go with the PCV conversion. sounds easy enough but i can use that $100 on a few other things that take priority on this car.

good point. backwards, for sure if there is no filter. so it's just kind of like a dump tube. eventually i'll go with the PCV conversion. sounds easy enough but i can use that $100 on a few other things that take priority on this car.

A few years ago one of the forum members came up with a way to make a PCV system with some common plumbing fittings and an off the shelf modern car PCV valve assembly. My guess is that would be a lot less than $100.

Might take some time to find the thread using the search function. But searching is free. :)

• Like 1

Probably got all the answer you need by now.  Just a bit of additional:  I have one with a screen enclosed type ound filter (aout 2" diameter) on the top fo the tube where it goes into the block.  A long Bolt goes throught the center and into the block.  In additon, there is a rubber (i have seen felt ones too) round washer that goes on the flange just before it enters the bock.  Not sure what that does except to seal the pipe until the fumes exit the pipe at the bottom .

Plz substitute Round for ound filter.  Old brain in need of second cup of morning coffee  :>)

• Like 1

. . .  Not sure what that does except to seal the pipe until the fumes exit the pipe at the bottom .

It keeps dirt out of your oil. That hole communicates directly to the crankcase by the lifter gallery.

i ended up getting the ebay item. it's a perfect fit and i don't think there would be enough room for any type of gasket or antything in between it and the inner wall.. the screw is the right size and everything. there is no mesh filter or anything inside it. it's just an open tube.

tube.jpg

Hey B666,

If you want, just make you a filter using some old screen. Cut it about 4" wide and about a foot long and roll it up, use a little gasket sealer and put that in your pipe, (Then smoke it LOL)

Joe

• Like 1