what IS this??

belvedere666
Go to solution Solved by belvedere666,

This a pic i found of Don's motor just through a google search of 218s. it had a clear view of this hole, so i decided to you useit. hop ya don't mind Don! i noticed that my motor has this hole in it. seeing as though the car was put together with JB weld, bubble gum and spit, i wasn't sure that this hole wasn't supposed to be plugged somehow.

i have no idea what it is for. anyone have any info for me?

motor_1.jpg

It is for a filter and pipe called a draft tube that sticks down towards the ground. It provides ventilation for the crankcase gases and reduces oil sludge buildup in the engine. By sticking down into the draft of air under a moving car, air circulation is produced. Fresh air is drawn down the oil filler tube, through the crankcase, and out the draft tube. Get one or make one. It will help your engine last longer.

• Like 3

Excess oil fumes exit through that port travel down a tube and christens the places you stop. A PVC valve can go here and route those fumes into the exhaust manifold.

• Like 1

Excess oil fumes exit through that port travel down a tube and christens the places you stop. A PVC valve can go here and route those fumes into the exhaust manifold.

Doesn't a PCV route fumes to the intake?

• Like 2

now that i know what it is... can anyone tell me what might happen if i don't get one right away, or how to make one?

still working on getting the motor running.

did a few searches online for one and can't find one for sale as of right this minute but i did run down the PCV conversion through Vintage Power Wagons. For that $100 price ticket, i would like to find a cheaper alternative till i know i can get everything running tip top and spend the difference on other things first.

UPDATE: Just found one on Ebay for $18.00. Not bad.

can anyone tell me if this IS the right part?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-1950s-Plymouth-Dodge-DeSoto-Chrysler-Flathead-Engine-Oil-Draft-Tube-/261872169498?hash=item3cf8cc321a&vxp=mtr

Edited by belvedere666

It is for a filter and pipe called a draft tube that sticks down towards the ground. It provides ventilation for the crankcase gases and reduces oil sludge buildup in the engine. By sticking down into the draft of air under a moving car, air circulation is produced. Fresh air is drawn down the oil filler tube, through the crankcase, and out the draft tube. Get one or make one. It will help your engine last longer.

In my 52 Dodge B-3-B shop guide it is called a crankcase breather pipe ... and does what Mark and one other says here tonight.

Without one the only impact you will have is oil sludge running down the side or your engine from the opening in the block as far as I know.  

Included a photo .. the pipe actually extends down to almost even with the bottom of my oil pan on my truck 218 ci engine.

Note quick update: ... your eBay item is a crankcase breather tube for a flathead engine ... but not sure if it is the correct one for your make / year / vehicle ....  

post-7088-0-64612900-1430711752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 1

In my 52 Dodge B-3-B shop guide it is called a crankcase breather pipe ... and does what Mark and one other says here tonight.

Without one the only impact you will have is oil sludge running down the side or your engine from the opening in the block as far as I know.  

Included a photo .. the pipe actually extends down to almost even with the bottom of my oil pan on my truck 218 ci engine.

Note quick update: ... your eBay item is a crankcase breather tube for a flathead engine ... but not sure if it is the correct one for your make / year / vehicle ....  

that would explain all the sludge i had to clean up when i got the car.

Your ebay link looks different than mine, which is from a 1938 201 ci motor. here are a few more pics, 3rd shown without tube, 2nd looking up without tube (screen/mesh shown), 1st orientation of tube:

post-3672-0-89043100-1430715891_thumb.jpg

post-3672-0-21863800-1430715904_thumb.jpg

post-3672-0-11166600-1430715914_thumb.jpg

Edited by deathbound

Hey B666, I've got a 1950 230 flathead in my 48. I'll look in the morning and see how mine goes in. I'll bet it is just like the oil fill tube though, just a press in by hand.

Joe

Edited by soth122003

so it bolts in? i see 1/2 in there but do you know the thread size?

Do you have the shop guide and parts manuel for your vehicle?

My shop guide for my vehicle shows the following dimensions for my breather pipe: Bolt, 5/16"-18 x 3 1/2". 

So on my vehicle the bolt head is 1/2in ... the thread diameter  is 5/16in" the thread size is 18 and it is 3 1/2 in long.

There is also a gasket for this pipe according to the parts manuel .. but mine was missing

On some later model truck engines the thread size is 24 and the overall bolt length is 4 inches

Edited by Phil363

Hey B666, 

I just checked my engine and the downdraft tube Is just like the one in the pic Don posted above and the bolt hole has a bolt in it that I imagine is like the one Phil363 describes after that.

Joe

• Like 1

• Solution

This may or may not help.

pipe.jpg

look at that! same motor! haha. thanks Don. yeah seeing it like that out of the car, on the block helps a lot. mine is still in the car and i can only feel that there's an opening. i can't see it all at any angle.

Do you have the shop guide and parts manuel for your vehicle?

My shop guide for my vehicle shows the following dimensions for my breather pipe: Bolt, 5/16"-18 x 4". 

So on my vehicle the bolt head is 1/2in ... the thread diameter  is 5/16in" the thread size is 18 and it is 4in long.

On some later model truck engines the thread size is 24.

i don't have a parts guide. thanks for the dimensions. i have the original 218 that came with the car so i know it's not the truck engine.

Thanks Deathbound. So yours has a head that screws in at the block and then has a clamp that holds the tube?

Yes.

Without one the only impact you will have is oil sludge running down the side or your engine from the opening in the block as far as I know... 

It helps keep dirt and bugs out of the crankcase too. They'll go straight in a hole much easier than way up a tube, turn, & then through a hole.

The one on my flathead Pontiac actually had a filter on it, similar to the oil breather cap, to help keep dirt out.

• Like 2

It helps keep dirt and bugs out of the crankcase too. They'll go straight in a hole much easier than way up a tube, turn, & then through a hole.

The one on my flathead Pontiac actually had a filter on it, similar to the oil breather cap, to help keep dirt out.

that's what Deathbound's looks like. one of his pics has a mesh looking filter/screen that looks like inside of an oil bath air cleaner. i bought the one from ebay. it was inexpensive enough and it looks a lot like Don's in the picture he posted. it should be here by friday and 'll post pics and in the meantime, i'll hope it's the right piece.