1953 pilothouse oil pan

My 1953 pilothouse's oil pan is resting on the front axle. Local guru says that is because it is the pan from a car which has the sump in the front. Is this correct?

You need a front sump similar vintage cars and pre 48 trucks are rear sump.

If the OP will forgive me for jumping in here, I have questions about this because my truck also has the pan on backwards. Thing is I believe that my pan is a truck pan...the dipstick goes directly into the pan, not through the block. My question is, is there anything else that needs to be done when rotating the pan or is just a simple tale the pan off and turn it around?

Also the yahoos that replaced the motor (2 owners before me I'm #3) On finding that they had clearance issues between the pan and the front axle/and drag link apparently took a hammer and beat the bottom of the sump until it fit! :mad: So is this something that I can pound back out after I take the oil pan off? Or would I be better just trying to find another pan.

It could be a truck pan, but from an earlier generation truck. What is the engine number stamped on the flat pad above the generator?

You can't just flip your pan around. You will need to find the correct oil pan

Edited by Merle Coggins

It could be a truck pan, but from an earlier generation truck. What is the engine number stamped on the flat pad above the generator?

my 39-47s use a rear sump and I dont believe my correct block uses a pan dipstick

Hey Merle, The screwy thing is There arent any numbers stamped into the boss above the generator.

I dont want to clutter up the OP's thread here so I'll post some pictures here:  http://p15-d24.com/topic/32139-intro/#entry320729

what motor do you have? look at the drivers side of the motor . towards the front will be a number. if it starts with a t its a truck motor. mine is a p25. that's how I found out its from a Plymouth. same motor just for a car. of course the previous owner put parts for a t not a p.

Well it continues to get more confusing. If I read the number on the engine corrrectly it is:P- 924 STAR SYMBOL 2609I9 star. So does that make it an automobile engine? It had a  non original rear end in it.

Thinking it was a truck engine I ordered a truck pan. My 53 is even more confusing. I am beginning to believe every previous owner, "did his thing." IF is a car engine will I need to alter the pan as Don Coatney did?

Doesn't matter it is a car or truck engine. The pan and oil pick up tube (not the strainer) determine the if it front or rear sump. I have a D24 engine in my B1 truck. Only change was using a truck oil pan and pickup tube. With the correct pan it will clear the steering components. Blocks are basically they same. 

• Like 1

Doesn't matter it is a car or truck engine. The pan and oil pick up tube (not the strainer) determine the if it front or rear sump. I have a D24 engine in my B1 truck. Only change was using a truck oil pan and pickup tube. With the correct pan it will clear the steering components. Blocks are basically they same. 

actually, the blocks ARE the same from what I've been told by others, just depends what you stick on 'em and where you stick 'em.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1953 pilothouse with the pan resting on the axle has a 265 engine  according to auto parts store. The number on the block begins with a T. The replace pan I  bought is to small. I would like to know

what this engine is out of ., so maybe the blocks are not the same?  Any suggestions.

Edited by ivyolly52

The 1953 pilothouse with the pan resting on the axle has a 265 engine  according to auto parts store. The number on the block begins with a T. The replace pan I  bought is to small. I would like to know

what this engine is out of ., so maybe the blocks are not the same?  Any suggestions.

If your block measures 25"s in length than no they are not the same oil pan. You'd probably need a pan from say a a 1.5 ton truck that came with the bigger 6 or a canadian truck.