B3 Radio?

So on IWOYTD it became obvious that a 610T is NOT the radio for B3 trucks.  So what IS the right radio?  The instructions that come with a 610T clearly show a PH truck of the B3/4 series for installation.  So does a 610T go in a B4 only?  Jeff's 52 B3 has the same cutout FEF does.

pictures below:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/38569-4th-annual-international-work-on-your-truck-day/?p=405821

so meanwhile I have a working restored 610T that I have no place for...:(

• Like 1

Mark;

I have attached a photo of the radio cut out in my 52. There was no evidence of it ever being tampered with or ever having a radio installed in it. I am positive it is a factory stamped cut out.

Just a thought. I have seen but do not own a copy of a catalog of factory accessories for these trucks. Perhaps there is something in one of these catalogs that would offer up a clue as to what radio is supposed to fit this?

Jeff

post-4710-0-49973700-1430685206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff Balazs

Jeff...I do, unfortunately with me trying to sell my house its packed in some random box somewhere.

John, yah not gonna modify the dash

My B4B dash does not have a radio cutout.  I have never wanted to cut the dash, so I don't have a radio.  If ever get one, I will figure out some way to mount it under the dash - or in the glove-box.

it looks like the B-4 cabs had no radio cutout :cool:

I wouldn't say that 100% is true.  I think that certain levels (delux or better) of the truck had them put in with other add-on options (corner windows and such).  Not ALL B3 trucks I've seen have the cutout and delete plate in them, but some do.

I worked in new car department at a Ford dealership in the early 70's in Southern California. I can tell you that even then many cars were ordered without radios or antennas. Maybe 20 - 25% came in without. I would expect that back in the 50s that percentage would be much higher. And just because some 53s didn't come with a cutout I would expect some did.

The real question is what radio fit this cut out?

Jeff

I worked in new car department at a Ford dealership in the early 70's in Southern California. I can tell you that even then many cars were ordered without radios or antennas. Maybe 20 - 25% came in without. . . .

Off topic, but some of the people I hung out with in that era preferred to avoid paying high prices for the relatively poor quality factory radio when they were going to immediately throw it out anyway and put in an aftermarket unit.

For cars and trucks in the 1950s and even into the 1960s, I suspect that an aftermarket radio was not on the purchaser's minds, simply the cost of what was perceived to be a luxury.

I worked in new car department at a Ford dealership in the early 70's in Southern California. I can tell you that even then many cars were ordered without radios or antennas. Maybe 20 - 25% came in without. I would expect that back in the 50s that percentage would be much higher. And just because some 53s didn't come with a cutout I would expect some did.

The real question is what radio fit this cut out?

Jeff

yes...

When I started working at my 1st electrical job in the early 80's, my boss ordered the service trucks without the optional radio. He wanted the guys to discuss work when they were driving to the worksite not listening to the radio. Later when the radios became a standard item, he would take them out.

Mark,

I don't know what to say. It's all documented in my original post (follow link below) . When I bought my truck, someone had butchered my dashboard to get some sort of radio (which I never saw) which was not there when I bought it.  Like Mark I wanted my truck to be perfect so I had an expert welder replace the thin cross-bar and weld up the additional holes. I had no idea what radio was supposed to fit unit on this forum I saw Zeke's install and Reg's sticker saying "Future Home of a 610-T" I also found the installation diagram below, that clearly showed my radio. 

Page_03-Sized.jpg

Is this drawing a fake ? A pre-PhotoShop forgery? 

Could it be a the biggrest Hoax that ever appeared on the forum and I just followed it ? Or is it possible that Motorola and Mopar did not coordinate what was being manufactured and what cutout was being stamped into the dashboard. I made the decision to re-cut my "restored to original dashboard" to fit the 610-T.  

Follow this link and in Post #42 it is clear what is going on.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/27822-motorola-610-t-restoration/page-3

This was the year 1951, the year of the zinc penny, the Korean war ? I'm not sure, but I get an amazing amount of compliments on my radio and it sounds great...

Motorola610-TInstalled-Copy_zps6h77wvwn.

Either I'm a Dupe or have been Duped..either way I'm not sorry about my installation at all 

Hank  :confused:

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 2

yah, like I said Hank, the instructions CLEARLY show a PH truck of the B3/4 vintage, but for whatever reason it seems a B3 isn't where it belongs...

In NO WAY am I upset with you or our transaction...I'm bummed it won't work!   It DOES make me think it would fit nice in a B4 (if we could find one with a stock radio cut out that is) to confirm.

yah, like I said Hank, the instructions CLEARLY show a PH truck of the B3/4 vintage, but for whatever reason it seems a B3 isn't where it belongs...

In NO WAY am I upset with you or our transaction...I'm bummed it won't work!   It DOES make me think it would fit nice in a B4 (if we could find one with a stock radio cut out that is) to confirm.

Thanks Mark. I'm at a loss for words...or as our mate Davin would say...You are a "Top-Fella".

more on this,

Hank  :)

P.S. "Psst...Reg..wanna buy a Motorola 610-T ? (I've got another one if Mark won't put the 610-T in Todd)  (or the question is are you going to remove the sticker on your dashboard ?)

Edited by ggdad1951
spelling/grammar correction in the quoted text

The bezel is pretty big, what if you just cut the dash so the knobs will fit. Will the bezel cover all of the cut outs and leave enough "meat" left to mount it?

I know you don't want to cut anything up, and you've probably already thought of this....Just trying to think of an option that would allow you to keep it!

john, no the bezel isn't near large enough and the radio REALLY needs the knob holes to support/hold it up.

I am not sure if anyone has definitive proof of when the radio cutout was omitted from B-series dash production, it may have been a running change sometime in '52 as I have seen '52s with & without the knockout plate, have never seen a '53 with a knockout plate.  The 610T may have been offered as an option when this change was made; I would be interested to see if there is some indication as to the print date on those instructions, usually Dodge put that date on the 1st or last page in the lower corner, something simple like "3-52".  This may give an indication as to when the radio cutout was omitted.  The car radio that Ed noticed in the link to the pic I posted may have been the way to go back in the day, as these were typically dealer installed options :cool: