What's a knuckle? For my 47 Dodge.

central52

Had a front wheel alignment done on my 47 Dodge.  Mechanic noted that everything on the front is good, except  he said, " left and right upper knuckles  have play".  He said all I need are the bushings.  Seems no one sells these, unless it's part of a kit.  Andy Bernbaum has the kit for $79.00, but I just need the bushings only.  Anyone have an idea where I can just get these?  Doing research on internet,  On ebay they had a set of bushings, for $25.00, but for 1940 Mopar cars.    Ed

The term knuckle usually refers to the part of the steering mechanism that locates and provides for means of movement of the spindle. The knuckle is mounted on the king pin.  The bushings allow the knuckle to rotate on the king pin in reaction to steering input.

You reallyneed the complete kit to do a replacement of loose steering knuckle bushings properly. This kit is called a king pin set.

The king pins can also be worn .

The king pin end plugs get damaged during pin removal so you will need four of those ..included in the KP set.

The thrust bearings..(2) might be worn.. you might need those..they are in the set.

Matched to the bearings are shims that control end play... they come in the set that you might need.

So maybe you should get the complete set just in case.....!

Bob

• Like 1

Andy B. should have them and there are Raybesto's kits floating around ebay most times. I did a set on my 49 D29 about 16 months ago.

Pain in the butt it had to happen. The car drove beautifly afterwards. Add some radial tires and the car improves dramaticly.

Doc

Hey Cen52 , I'll trade you a Steering Wheel for a Frank Pepe's Pizza

Edited by doctor dirt

Knuckles are the parts of any hinge that the hinge pin fits through.  The hinge pin of your steering is called the king pin.

If the pin is OK, but one bushing is shot, you can just change the bushing, but it's tough to align the new bushing to the old without over-reaming the old one, so you normally change both bushings at once. Also, you have to tear the car apart just as much if you replace one bushing or the whole kit, and so the labor is the same.

BUT: When you go to remove the kingpin lock bolt, chances are good that you'll mangle it a bit getting it out, so you almost always need a new one, and it comes in the kit.

MOOG makes a nice kit for these, and they were readily available for $50 in the 90's. You might find one at the local NAPA store. They made lots of these because they fit lots of models over several decades. A very common part.

Ed, as the guys have said, a full kingpin set is the way to go if this is in fact where the issue is but I was thinking that maybe your mechanic may have meant the upper outer bushes, the things that allow camber adjustment............can you confirm whether its the king pin bushes or the upper outer bushes which live at the end of the upper A arms........if these then they are the same 1941 to 1956 which may help............if its the kingpin bushes then get the complete set   which is the same 1939-1956.......regards, andyd    

Thanks, guys, for all that info. Guess I'll go get the whole set. Andy Dodge mentioned the king pin bushings, and upper outer bushings. Would those be included in that package deal from Andy Bernbaum? His description says "Upper control arm shaft bushings and pin package: Includes all bushings,shaft and rubber seals to service one complete upper control arm." Ed P.S. Pepe's pizza is great, but I always liked Modern Pizzas When I worked at Marlin Firearms, we used to get them occassionaly for parties.

Edited by central52

Ed, you need to clarify exactly what your mechanic means..........even get him to show you and/or draw a pic..........andyd

Ed, depends whether Andy B's are refering to the kingpin set which would normally include the kingpins and their stub axle bushes etc for both sides of the car OR were they referring to the upper outers, in which case you generally get them as a per side set...........the reason I brought this up originally is that you said your mechanic referred to the "left and right upper knuckles" which to me would indicate the upper outers, but I ain't a mechanic so.......lol...........I'd check before shelling out $$$........andyd

Going today to check with my mechanic. Since he did the wheel alignment, and that has to do with camber adjustment, then it must just be the outer bushings.,not the kingpins.  Am I right?  Anyhow I'll find out later today what he says.  Ed

Any of the front end pivots could be called a knuckle too. Generally not though, because a hinge knuckle is one of a set. hinges commonly have at least 2 knuckles on one plate and 3 on the other, so it looks sorta like a fist of knuckles when closed.

A single knob-ended pivot, like a control arm pivot, could be viewed as a knuckle, but it'd be a lonely one and certainly not representative of the term in it's most descriptive sense.

Edited by Ulu

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., guys, got the work done. When my mechanic tried to do the wheel alignment, he noticed the bushings were not good. I had to buy the whole package from Andy Bernbaum to get those critters. Here are some pics of the old parts. I noticed also, that the steering is not so heavy anymore. Ed

post-407-0-59904800-1431719283_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-55191200-1431719318_thumb.jpg

post-407-0-63615400-1431719344_thumb.jpg

Edited by central52

Ed, yep them things is the upper outer pins and bushes and the upper inner ones on the right side of the pic.........sounds like your mechanic has done the job right..............those pins have seen better days......lol.......andyd