1937 Dodge, Ol Bessy Is Coming Home!

Sharps40

I see.   Not on the control arm but gusseting the tube it rides inside.   Will check next trip up.   They may not be done with the front end.    Still notching for pan, exhaust, etc.   

Edited by Sharps40
ttt

• 2 months later...

Heidts does not make a install kit in stock but they are one of the most expensive out there. But they just bought out another company by the name-Chassis Engeneering that did and I liked their products. They were one of the first builders out there and make many Bolt in kits for the MII front suspension.37 Plymouth? Take a look under that name -not changed yet I believe.

DJ

3 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Heidts does not make a install kit in stock but they are one of the most expensive out there. But they just bought out another company by the name-Chassis Engeneering that did and I liked their products. They were one of the first builders out there and make many Bolt in kits for the MII front suspension.37 Plymouth? Take a look under that name -not changed yet I believe.

DJ

Yeah, I found them. Reached out today via email. They said they do not have a specific kit, but with some measurements they could see what they have. I was trying to read through your thread today, but got side tracked. Did you end up going Fatman or Chassis Engineering? 

Not sure how confident I feel with their statment above, but I'll entertain them. I know Fatman has a kit for my 37. I haven't decided on what trigger to pull just yet. 

Do not confuse me with Sharps40 who does have a 37 Plymouth.

I do not. I have a 50 Plymouth Suburban with a Fatman frame stub  and MII suspension. Was intalled about 12-14 years ago. Was not much choice back then. Their stuff was OK but suspension in on the smaller diameter tubes and Does Not have the support on the lower arm tube I mentioed to Sharps40 earlier. If/when I continue with this car I will add that suppert for sure!!

DJ

Mine is a 37 dodge 4 door d5 touring sedan.  Front suspension is Fatman.  37 Plymouth front frame is same/same as dodge, back doors, running boards and rear vent windows are not.

In any event, even the Fat Man made to fit kit is not made to fit until you make it fit.  Anybody says otherwise has not installed one!  Good kit, same amount of work as about any universal weld in cross member kit plus a bit more for the humped front frame arms.

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sharps40 said:

Mine is a 37 dodge 4 door d5 touring sedan.  Front suspension is Fatman.  37 Plymouth front frame is same/same as dodge, back doors, running boards and rear vent windows are not.

In any event, even the Fat Man made to fit kit is not made to fit until you make it fit.  Anybody says otherwise has not installed one!  Good kit, same amount of work as about any universal weld in cross member kit plus a bit more for the humped front frame arms.

Thanks Sharps40! Did you do a thread on your car? Just wanting to see some photos of the process. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Running boards will also be B5 with black rhino liner to simulate the rubber mat.  Dash and window frames also in B5 and offset by Burl Walnut Dash panel and the original chrome trim pieces.

Original stainless trim on the belt line and hood should make the car pop.  I picked up a NOS 37 Dodge Ram hood ornament to replace the heavily pitted original for $60 delivered. 

Chrome steelies with baby moons and wide whites.

Final motor and transmission install with wiring and first start coming soon for 300 horse with AC. 

This is rapidly shaping up to be the car Dad wanted to build 60 years ago.....with a few modern amenities.

Edited by Sharps40
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Agree re the colour and paint job............VERY nice indeed, will really pop with some chrome and stainless to accentuate it.........very nice.................andyd

• 3 weeks later...

4 door ply and dodge that year are different.  I know from attempted fitting of Plymouth rear doors to a dodge, the Plymouth/dodge rear doors  are shaped differently in the arch and hinge positions and will not interchange.  Also, ply is 3 or so inches shorter in the area of the rear vent window than the dodge.  Don't recall if the running boards are different as well due to the reduced car over all length but, he'll have them for you/make them up from pattern.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to make a road trip next week. First I've seen the car since the final primer coat in Jan 18. Now she's blue, got a suspension and drive line and coming together. Hauling the bling. Spent the morning cleaning and putting the final touches on 80 year old stainless and chrome. Most is in very usable shape and exhibits sufficient shine. A mix of new and old, just like Dad could have done about 60 years ago.  And, bringing back many of the excess parts and sheetmetal to get it ready to sell.

001.JPG

Edited by Sharps40