Amp Gauge question "Long Story"

Tony724

On my 52 Cambridge, when I bought the car. The last guy that my buddy got the car from  had a 12 volt battery hooked up,

"Not positive ground", like it is supposed to be, just to start it up. People do stupid things!

Well, when I got the car from my buddy, he did tell me he noticed when he bought the car, the guy started it, and smoke came out of the dash, where the amp gauge was. Now Theres a surprise!

Okay, so now I have the car. I put a Brand new 6 volt Optima in it, and also wired the ignition switch "correctly", he had it wrong.

When I got the car running the other day, "The battery was not in the car all this time", I had it on a battery tender on my workbench.

I ran the motor, sounded nice and smooth, the Amp gauge was charging, just slightly to the positive side, and all the gauges worked properly. I was happy!

Well, I let the car sit for about a half hour, and then it barely started, but finally did, and ran rough when reving it up, like an electrical misfire. And the amp gauge was charging extremely high! AH OW!

I checked the battery, and it was about dead. Brand new Battery!

Okay, I put it back on charge, and put it back in the car.

I didn't connect the + side of the cable and put my meter in between it the battery and cable.

There was a 5 volt draw on the system with the car off. Okay, theres my problem!!!!

I reached up under the dash, and while looking, I could see that melted wire. When I moved it around, the "handheld" meter went to zero. Found my draw/short in the system.

I pulled the dash...."photo below"....I see a melted wire on the amp gauge, although it was working fine??

I tried to remove the nut to run a new wire, but it is melted to it. Ugh!

Is there a way of by passing the gauge? Is this not advised? Is there a place to get a new one? Any input is always appreciated!

amp_zpsmrxleza8.jpg

How did you start the car with NO battery?

How did you start the car with NO battery?

I didn't start the car with no battery? I had it disconnected to check for a draw on the system, with a hand held meter. I had the +side disconnected and put my meter from the battery, to the cable, and seen the draw on the system.

Edited by Tony724

Got ya,

Sorry!

Got ya,

Sorry!

No big deal! It was a long story to read... :(

I want to try and bypass the gauge if possible? Or I guess get another one if someone sales them?I am guessing thats my problem, with the testing I have done.

Recheck as before now that the gauge is removed. Change?

Cut the wire burnt one, at the gauge and recheck

Let us know.

Let us know.

Will do DJ194950, I will snip the wire off of it tomorrow, since it won't unbolt from the connection to the amp gauge. I will report back for sure, and see if there is still a draw on the system.

My buddy was under the hood with the meter, and when I reached under the dash, "before pulling it all apart", and bumped that wire, he yelled, "what did you do, the drain stopped". So I am sure it is it. But I will double check. I was hoping to by pass the gauge somehow, unless I can find a good used one.

The amp gage isn't needed for the car to run. You can bypass it just by removing the two wires and connecting them together.

BUT ALL your electricity to run the car, lights, radio, coil, fan, etc (except the starter) goes right through that wire & that amp gage. If you get a short in that wire things will get hot very fast, gages can melt, and you'll smell smoke. The battery will go dead in a very short time, if the wire doesn't just melt clear through.

Edited by Ulu

Let us know.

Okay, I couldn't wait till tomorrow, I would have never slept tonight. I just went up and cut the wire.

Put the handheld meter between the +side of the cable, then to the battery. It dropped down to millimeters. It just said, "ML" on the meter instead of volts. Sorry for being dumb to this, I am still learning electric.

Okay, then I touched the wire back to the amp gauge "like factory hook up", and it was jumping from ML's, up to Volts! Clear up to 3.5 volts of draw, then going up and down. "No ignition turned on". No wonder my battery was dying....

However, since it was jumping up and down so quickly, I started moving the wire around that I snipped off at the beginning if where it goes through harness going through the kick panel. And it skyrocketed to 4 volts?

I am guessing, besides frying the amp gauge, and melting to it,  the wire is bare inside the harness? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The amp gage isn't needed for the car to run. You can bypass it just by removing the two wires and connecting them together.

BUT ALL your electricity to run the car, lights, radio, coil, fan, etc (except the starter) goes right through that wire & that amp gage. If you get a short in that wire things will get hot very fast, gages can melt, and you'll smell smoke. The battery will go dead in a very short time, if the wire doesn't just melt clear through.

Okay, I gotcha. I want to do it right, no by passing then!

Edited by Tony724

For the gage check with Andy Bernbaughms. Also check your harness run for more bad wire spots. I would also try a little penetrating oil on the nut and stud, let it set for a day and slowly loosen and tighten it and see if it frees up.

Joe

For the gage check with Andy Bernbaughms. Also check your harness run for more bad wire spots. I would also try a little penetrating oil on the nut and stud, let it set for a day and slowly loosen and tighten it and see if it frees up.

Joe

I will check them out for sure. I didn't know anyone sold new ones, still learning these older cars. I tried to turn the nut, and the whole inside spun. I think it is tired. I am going to open that whole harness up tomorrow, and honestly run all new wiring though that area. I might as well.