201 P4 oil pan swap to 218 Truck motor

David Higgd

Looking for a lil help here. I recently purchased a 218 completely rebuilt that came originally out of a truck. I knew that the oil pan would need to be swapped with the pan from my original 201. I wasn't aware of how much difference there is in the pickup tube/pipe. Has anyone had experience with this issue? Is there a swap piece I could purchase somewhere? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Btw, I have a complete rebuildable 37 201, 37 stock rear end, driveshaft and all 4 drums and backing plates with new wheel cylinders for sale.

Welcome to the forum. I don't have the answer to your question & I'm sure someone does, but I remember a thread a while back discussing something like this....maybe the "search" function (while you're on the main forum page) might help. Also, so your thread doesn't get "locked", re-post your "for sale" items in the classifieds.

Post some pics of your '37 Coupe.

. . . Also, so your thread doesn't get "locked", re-post your "for sale" items in the classifieds. . .

Yep. Both explicit buy/sell requests need to be in the classifieds.

You're new here so I haven't just deleted that stuff out of your post. If you need assistance in placing the classified ad(s) PM me or another moderator.

can you not swap the pick up assembly also.  I did that when I fitted a 230 instead of a 218.  the pan and oil pickup from the one in the car swapped over.

Might be a little trickier with his early 201. They don't have the same style floating pickup as the later flatheads do.

I ran into this same issue on a 39 Plym convert 201 five years ago .

The 201's dont have a floating pick up. it's a rigid mounted round strainer PU. I think the pan is slightly different for this PU. I  cannot remember exactly the issue as for swapping pans/and the PU.

I didn't take any pics of the job either!