Welding

pflaming

I just watched a short video on how to connect two 12 volt batteries together and then use battery cables and the welding rod to weld metal. Two batteries from pick n pull @ 100.00 a pair and some rod, not bad. May have to look into that, the demo was a "cats meow"!!

I was present a year or two ago when some welding in a remote area without power was done that way. Well, almost that way, the fellow used a real set of welding cables and welding tip. It can be done but it is hard on the batteries and they get discharged pretty rapidly. Also, you'll probably want something a lot heavier than 12v battery cables.

My take: An interesting way to play around but if you want to have something welded properly get a proper welder.

The demo was for the off road folk, how to fix while on the trail.

Tim, below: They welded two brake drums together, but they did NOT drop them on the concrete.

Edited by pflaming

ARC welding is something you need to get a "feel" for. If you're a practiced welder, you can made do, but working with a battery set-up on the trail is an emergent task, not a skill you need to have in the garage.

So unless you plan on taking your truck off-roading.....let it go..... ^_^

48D