4th Annual "International Work On Your Truck Day"...

Ok man! This is it.....MAY 2ND 2015 - IWOYTD #4 !!!!!!!!!!!

The official day is the first Saturday of May.

"Its a day like no other day....a day in which pro-crash-tin-nation has decided to stay home!" 

Get your wrenches out ....the good weather is coming.....time to make it roll without the nieghbors pushin it! Power to the toolbox! Its a day we all make all stand together as one, and show everyone, that:

"We love our old Trucks!!"  :lol:

The 5 rules:

1. Work on your truck....looking at it counts, writing "wash me' on it counts, washing, dusting it, kicking the rubber ALL counts!

2. Report what you did....and be honest, cuz its all good.

3. Post a picture of what you did....again, fresh finger prints count.

4. Explain what inspires you the most about your truck, how you got it....it was your dad's, it was your uncle's, brother's, you found it, Brent gave it to you, Mark sold to you one piece at a time, Merle left it at your porch, you won it in a card game with Tim Adams and Don Coatney.......found it in a barn or whatever...lol.

5. Try to share your days experience as soon as you can.....!!!

Hope you have a great week leading up to May 2nd!!!!

48D

• Like 6

Thank goodness it's not in April. My parts aren't here yet. I don't want it to be like last year where 48Dodger was working on it for me - unless he's putting in a Diplomat front clip ...

No Mike , it is work on "your" truck day.... Not have someone else work on your truck LOL

Well, I had some help last year http://p15-d24.com/topic/35860-3rd-annual-international-work-on-your-truck-day/?p=367453

Edited by TrampSteer

yeah, I was funning you :) it does count....... that would be awesome to be able to team up!

I won't be working on my truck May 2nd, and I better not have too either! The truck will be in my buddies wedding, and that was the push to get it done. I will however post some pictures of it in use for it! 

• Like 1

I won't be working on my truck May 2nd, and I better not have too either! The truck will be in my buddies wedding, and that was the push to get it done. I will however post some pictures of it in use for it! 

i like it! (GET) instead of working on your truck..... (ANOTHER) putting your truck to work! (TRUCK)

i see another (JOE) future event   :D  

• Like 1

i like it! (GET) instead of working on your truck..... (ANOTHER) putting your truck to work! (TRUCK)

i see another (JOE) future event   :D  

Lol, you're killing me!! My own wedding might be off if I get another car/truck!  :eek:

I'm going to see what I can do. Maybe I'll take a test cruise with the truck before Saturday and visit the COE.

I probably won't be working on my truck this Saturday either. For one thing, it really doesn't need anything done on it currently. And since my house and garage will be getting a new roof this weekend my truck will be tucked away safely where I won't really have access to it for tinkering.

Merle

Lol, you're killing me!! My own wedding might be off if I get another car/truck!  :eek:

I'm going to see what I can do. Maybe I'll take a test cruise with the truck before Saturday and visit the COE.

COE COE COE COE COE

• Like 2

I am fortunate on this side of the world as I get to see the day before many others here!

I worked away diligently on my 53 coupe truck on this 4th IWOYTD. I installed all suspension mounts to the chassis, fitted new leaf springs, fitted front axle, fitted rear shock absorber mounts, and put complete brake line in place ready for bolting in. All in all, I would say that I was an active participant in this annual event.

There has been plenty of other work on this truck going on, but I will post that in the build thread.

post-3915-0-08681800-1430553523_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-43220500-1430553532_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-49441900-1430553540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Desotodav
  • Like 5

well today was going to be the day FEF got his radio....sadly as you can see the cutout (which the cover fits perfectly) is different than the radio faceplate AND the arrangement of the controls and dial  :(  :(  NO idea what going on here now.... :(  :(  I have every confidence that this radio cutout is stock.  Makes me wonder if the 610T is the correct radio!

20150502_084113_zpshkoaifi7.jpg

20150502_084458_zpsmso9goqr.jpg

20150502_084507_zpsfruj0i1j.jpg

• Like 3

Installed a rear exhaust hanger and was going to call it a day. ;) But then I thought it might be a good idea to drain the coolant and flush the system again. It hasn't been running warm but we are heading into what looks like another blazing hot summer. Good thing I did this too as it seems I still had quite a bit of rust throughout the system. Was not expecting much either as this was the 4th or 5th time I have done this since I got it running. All I can say is there must be far more rust hiding in these engines than anyone can ever imagine. This time it got fresh coolant and water as the mixture was too dirty to filter and reuse.

Jeff

• Like 2

I'm currently pulling the Lexan glass from "The Brick" and giving it real glass for the windshield....dare I say...putting it back to stock. 

Since I know the top speed I want at Bonneville, the weight of the stock set up won't hold me back. It also will lean it towards a more streetable look and use, which is something I've been promising Jim Shepard for awhile...lol.

pics in a few hours.

HAPPY IWOYTD !!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

48D

post-340-0-55298800-1430783481_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-46072900-1430783490_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-13828600-1430783497_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 2

It's alive.

After checking everything but the obvious, I replaced the obviously frayed ground wire on the coil.

Bazinga, it fired right up.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Excellent.

It is always satisfying when the apparently obvious "problem" is the cause!

I brought my truck box out of hiding where it's been sitting dormant for 3 years. I'll be prepping it for it's final coats of primer in the next couple weeks, color by the end of the month.  Actually dug it out last Tuesday, last day of MY weekend, Saturdays and Sundays are work days for me, and took picture today

post-755-0-17621700-1430612444_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I recently rebuilt my donor 3.73 differential and replaced both differential bearing cone and rollers with new differential bearing cups as well.  At which point I just needed one more item which came in the mail today which was the new pinion oil bearing seal.

What has also been holding me up and putting it all back together for weeks was removing the drive pinion companion yoke from my original 4.11 differential. 

I did not have a  tool designed to remove it.  The local auto craft shops did not carry anything to remove it.  The auto craft shop on the local military base I use has every type of puller  you can think of ... except what I needed.  Did not feel like buying what I needed for a one time use ....

So today ... I pulled out my all purpose puller (LOL)  I am sure it was not designed for this.  But as you can see in the attached photo ... it did attach just fine using opposing points on the Pinion Yoke.  After a short time, and the help of a spare socket, it came off.  Will sandblast and paint it tomorrow and reassemble the differential after reading the Dodge truck shop manual and of course checking several of the topics I followed that mentioned tips when working on them as well.

Working on this old Dodge one piece at a time is just so much fun which is why I do it.  As to why a Dodge pilothouse ... I just love the very distinct look that they have ... especially the engine hood and the spacious engine compartment.   

post-7088-0-80200100-1430615814_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-36829900-1430619690_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil363
  • Like 3

I removed this and took off all the side pieces and then put back just the radiator U. It was easier to remove it and use the air wrench than to leave it in place and try and use a hand wrench on the ones that were blocked by the frame. Discovered one captive nut that had a smaller bolt put through it with a nut on top of the captive one. Looks like the threads in there might be shot. So maybe 1 to cut off and weld a new nut in place. Rest looks good.

IMAG1925.jpg

Then I went to the back of the frame and started removing some junk. One crusty running board mount and 6 bed bolts.

IMAG1928.jpg

Lastly fought and fought with the rear spring hangers trying to get the chuncks of bushing out. Got them both out but the hangers are toast. BOO

• Like 3

what a great day! 2nd year in a row I worked on brakes. pulled the rear cylinders and shoes, will pull the front and take them all in to be redone in a couple weeks.

made a redneck spindle axle nut wrench post-6005-0-21238900-1430621480_thumb.jpg

started up the b3b, forgot all about pulling the fuel pump to find why the loud tick, put sheet metal in a pile to be blasted in a couple weeks post-6005-0-08221800-1430621943_thumb.jpg

• Like 4