Started my truck for the first time in 17 years

17 yrs ago a machine shop screwed up my engine and I was so depressed, I just parked the truck (B4B).  By the time I was ready to work on it again, all my spare money was going to my kids, their education and cars, and our house.  About 4 yrs ago, everyone in the family told me to get the truck going.

So, I am completely rebuilding the truck and had the engine overhauled (lots of machine work to fix the other guys screwups), and the engine has been on a stand, or just sitting in the frame for the past two years.  I finally got enough done to the rest of the truck (like wiring) that I could test fire the engine.  The first day was total frustration.  It would put some gas in the carb, the engine would fire-up, then die.

I let it sit for the week until I had a full day to work on it, and after about an hour I realized I was not getting any fuel from the new fuel pump.  Another hour later, I realized that I had hooked the gas tank to the outlet and the carb to the inlet - D'OH!  Works so much better when it is hooked up right.  I static timed the engine and it fires right up now.

Engine still has some bugs.  Old vacuum gauge shows that the timing is off, but I can't turn the distributer far enough to satisfy it.  By the same token, adjusting the air/fuel mixture doesn't change the vacuum one iota, either (carb has been rebuilt).  To top it off, I can't find my timing light.  Once the engine is started, the oil pressure goes from about 10-20 lbs and no higher.  It used to be a consistent 40 lbs.  Guess I will be buying a new spring from VPW.

BUT IT STARTS AND RUNS!

• Like 2

Congratulations on getting it started! That is the big thing, getting other items sorted out can take time but will get done with a little patience.

The hold down on the distributor as a small amount of adjustment built in but if you need more you can just loosen the bolt that clamps it onto the distributor.

Will the engine idle at a reasonable RPM? On my engine the idle adjust did nothing and the engine would only race (maybe 1000 to 1500 RPM) but not idle. Turns out I had a pretty big vacuum leak. Once that was fixed I could get the RPM down to where the idle circuit adjustment on the carburetor actually could do its thing.

My engine showed zero PSI on my dash gauge when first started. Went through all sorts of things before discovering that the tube leading to the gauge was plugged. You might want to recheck the oil pressure with a known good gauge before going further.

Can't help on the timing gauge. Unless, of course, you live close by but you don't show in your profile where you live.

If you have the non clamp type of distributor there is a second slot adjustment on the underside of the distributor as pictured below. If that does not give enough adjustment you can move the wires in the distributor cap one position and that should bring you back in line.

wrong.jpg

• Like 1