Camshaft for 23" and 25"

wayfarer

Thanks shel_ny !

Just a bit curious about the cam in the pic with those pointy lobes. 

What is lift and duration?

To the best of my knowledge it is a stock cam. It was pulled from a D42, 230. All's I know.

Oddly enough the part # is for a '53 Dodge. At least according to my parts book.

It has 12 of those pointy lobes, and shown with them 1 off center, pretty much round, 1- 1/2" "lobe" for the fuel pump.

post-80-0-87789000-1429996406_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-10726900-1429996437_thumb.jpg

Those lobes look like all stock flathead six cam lobes... all sharp... . lttle duration.

While the cam itself may have little duration, with mushroom lifters with their large diameter bases,  those sharp, pointed lobes are in contact with the lifter longer (compared to non mushroom lifters). I would think this would affect the actual valve lift duration.

Plymouthy Adams...... what say you?

I have never really studied the mushroom lifter...but by looking. the large lifter base will allow for more aggressive cam profiles due to the longer contact time it shares with the cam lobe..the duration however is still product of the ramp opening and closing time..lift and duration at max lift is the reason for the mushroom use and the flatter ramps ensure a non slamming operation..again decelerated due to longer contact...and as I see it, another reason that these engine do not run high rate springs...wear would be greatly increased as the spring tension is increased..