wheel cylinder rebuild

busycoupe

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a grabbing and dragging in my rt. front wheel.  When I took off the wheel there was lots of brake dust, and evidence of moisture.  When I peeled back the rubber dust cap on the wheel cylinders it was obvious that they were seeping.  The cylinders are only 8 yrs old.  So, I took off the cylinders, took them apart, cleaned them and ran a hone through them.  Now I am trying to install the new seals.  All of the info I can find simply says to clean and hone the cylinders, install the new parts and bingo! you're all done.  What I am having problems with is trying to stretch the new seals onto the pistons.  The inner dia. of the new seals looks similar to the inner dia of the old ones, but they are impossibly tight.  I lubed them with brake fluid, but of course they are now slippery and even more difficult to work.  I am reluctant to use something like pliers to grab and stretch the seals because I do not want to nick or damage the seal or the piston.  What is the secret?  Help!post-458-0-34964600-1429554506_thumb.jpgpost-458-0-19504600-1429554527_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim, you were right.  I went back to the garage, took a deep breath, and tackled it again.  Perhaps it was resting my hands while taking photos and posting the question, or perhaps the brake fluid softened the rubber a little.  Anyways, as you say, with firm pressure I was able to get the seal onto the piston.  ... Two cylinders done, four to go. 

Thanks again,

Dave B.