Brake Drums

Patrick

I have been struggling for some time to fix the brakes on my B3C. Today I got them to the point where I was adjusting the brakes and found that one of my rear drums is not quite perfect. When I spin the drum it always rubs in the same spot on the rear brake shoe even when I have the shoes adjusted all the way in. I have a couple 1/2 ton drums and I slid one on there just for kicks and it fit fine and spun without rubbing. I'm guessing my original drum is out of round.

After putting that 1/2 ton drum on there I got to wondering why can't I just use half ton drums and put different wheels on? Is there any reason not to do this? The axles look identical up to the drums and wheels. What am I missing here?

For anyone who's interested, the rear axles seem to be the same on the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups. The front axles are a different story. 11" drums on the 3/4 ton and 10" on the 1/2. I thought I would be able to swap backing plates and use the smaller drums but as it turns out the hardware attaching the plate to the axle are different sizes too. So there's a lot more involved in a front brake swap.

That's the long term plan Jeff but as you know finding a 3/4 ton drum is next to impossible. I'm looking for a short term solution so that I can drive my truck again. I'm thinking of getting a second set of wheels that I can use on the 1/2 ton drums on the back. I can get matching wheels for the front with 5x5 bolt pattern and with baby moons nobody will be the wiser. It's not ideal and eventually I want to make everything stock but I also have to consider that not being able to drive the truck defeats the purpose of having it.

• 4 months later...

I am doing a complete stock restoration on my '51 B-3-B. Does anyone know where to find specs for the inside diameters of the front 10" and rear 11" brake drums for the 1/2 ton pickups? I did a quick search through the brake section of my shop manual but didn't see any information that would allow me to determine whether my drums still have enough material on them to be turned and re-used. Also need a recommendation for a tool that would allow an accurate inside measurement - hopefully a tool that works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.Thanks.

Edited by glenn777

• 4 weeks later...

The tool you need to measure the inside diameter of the drums is the Ammco 8500. I think you can safely go a few thousandths over 10" and 11" but it's tough finding replacements. Keep an eye out for drums as new as 1964. That was the last year they used a tapered axle and the drums will fit your truck. I just rebuilt my rear axle and I replaced the backing plates with a set from a 1964 truck and am using the 11x2" drums from it as well. The brakes are not self adjusting but they only have one adjuster and will make my life much simpler. 

If you keep the stock brakes you're going to need the Ammco 1750 brake adjustment tool. It's expensive and even though the idea is simple it's a pain in the butt. Some members of this website have them and will loan or rent one to you. 

Your brakes are the most difficult part of the truck to get correct. I have learned this from experience. So my truck is a stock restoration with the exception of the brakes.

I am doing a complete stock restoration on my '51 B-3-B. Does anyone know where to find specs for the inside diameters of the front 10" and rear 11" brake drums for the 1/2 ton pickups? I did a quick search through the brake section of my shop manual but didn't see any information that would allow me to determine whether my drums still have enough material on them to be turned and re-used. Also need a recommendation for a tool that would allow an accurate inside measurement - hopefully a tool that works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.Thanks.

10.060" is the max oversize the drums can safely be turned on a brake lathe for your B-3-B truck.