What the Heck Happened?

I reckon this thread has an appropriate title for you now. You know it's funny here we are in what can only be described as an irrigated desert. And we have hockey .....and here hardly anyone cares about hockey. Seems very odd to me that we even have teams. It is not like any of us grew up playing the game. I suppose hockey is here because we have so damn many transplants? Go Ducks?......nah that is just not going to happen. Unless they go.....and take a few million people with them. :D

Did you get a rise in temperature as you were running into the headwind? That is the real question.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, no engine temps, were actually lower heading into the wind, but the wind was cold. Don't forget, I have a 3.23 diff, that is not the best gearing for 4th gear 1;1 accelerating, and only at 1500 rpm when I hit 4th gear.

This engine starts well, does not burn oil, has a bit of uneven compression, but is not bad otherwise.

I would like to see the same engine, fresh rebuild, shaved head, dual exhaust dual intake or a 2bbl carb, a lot more throttle response....PS the Ducks are moving on in the play offs we are not. Hey you still have those bumper stickers that say "welcome to California, now go home".....LOL

I was wondering about the operating temperatures that Merle saw with his.....vs what you saw.going into a head wind. Seems like something is going on there with his? Maybe the early grill design?

I know with the desert cooler type radiators I have had air temp and grades had very little effect on operating temps. Literally a few degrees and that was with air temps over100 and pulling grades like the one from Brawley up to Julian. I always found that if everything else was in reasonable condition these larger radiators were extremely effective at handling adverse situations.

I think those bumper stickers are frowned upon these days......mainly because the outsiders are in the majority. :eek:

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Merle;

Got to thinking about this over the weekend. On Saturday I flushed my cooling system again and found about 8 to 12 oz. of particulate rust. The last time I did this about 6 months ago I only got a small amount. I was quite surprised by the amount that came out this time. The only explanation I can come up with is that this rust was caked up hard in the cooling jackets and has started to dislodge after going through many repeated heat cycles. I just wonder if this is something that happens in many of these engines? and how it might have an adverse effect on cooling at times of heavier than normal loads?

Jeff.