Legal age that someone else can drive your antique car/truck

desoto1939

Ok,

Does anyone know right now what is the legal age of a child, friend, relative that would be permitted to drive your anotuq car or truck and also to have the car/truck covered by your antique car insuracne policy?

So of us have let our sons or daughters and even wives or girl friends drive our cars. My youngest has asked to be taught how to drive a stick shift just incase she every had to drive someone elses car while at college incase of an emergency situation.  I was going to teach her how to drive and shift on my 39 Desoto becasue it has the three on the tree.

BUT since she is under a specific age she would not be covered and the car would not be covered for any damage while learnign how to drive the car.  Scroll down to see the answer to the question.

The answer to the question is 25 years old and This is for the GRUNDY INSURACE COMPANY. but also check with your specific car carrier.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

Rich, are you feeling OK today? <_<

Do you want your car to smell like burnt clutch?  :eek:

If I owned a 30's DeSoto, no newbie driver would be grinding steel offa my clustergear!   :o

Rent some econochitbox of the caliber she'll be expecting to drive & teach her in that.  :cool:

Once she demonstrates civilized clutch operation and precision shift timing, then give her a turn with the beloved antique iron.  :wub:

• Like 1

I personally don't think its a bad idea teaching her in your car. I learned to drive a stick in our 41 Desoto and in my 61 Ford (before it was mine). The 39 Desoto would be great. They are very forgiving and easy to drive. That's my opinion at least, and I'm 24 years old if that helps the perspective. As far as insurance goes, my parents shopped around until they found a company that would allow me to drive the antique cars. I am drawing a blank right now, but I believe they have Auto Owners Insurance. I have my own policy for my house and my daily drivers with a different company, but I also have to have a policy with my parents auto insurance to be able to drive the antique cars under their policy. It is confusing, but as far as we have been assured and told, I'm ok to drive any of the cars at any given time. Even though I own two antique cars that are on the road, they still have to be titled in my parents name and insured under them. I cannot insure them until I am 25 unless I have them as a daily driver. I don't get it, but that's the way it is. I'm not sure if it helps you out, but I say if she can drive it legally with another insurance company then go for it. 

• Like 1

A great idea to teach family members to drive our older vehicles with manual transmissions.Most vehicles, particularly older ones sometimes have idiosyncrasies regarding their use. I  would consider Ulu's suggestion, maybe finding another vehicle rather than one you care most about while teaching someone who is learning the basics regarding using a clutch and shifting a manual transmission. It might be less stressful. I have witnessed the smell of a burnt clutch in a vehicle driven by someone who was used to driving an automatic ...   

I also got my antique auto insurance before I was 25.... though nearly 40 years ago. The minimum age limit has probably changed.

I have been hesitant to teach my wife how to drive a stick, but now that I have a 4 cyl. Dakota with a manual transmission I won't have any more recourse.  She has no back-up vehicle, otherwise, if her car needs repair.  IMHO, the hardest thing about learning how to drive a stick is clutching.  It makes little difference if the stick is on the floor or the column.  Again, my opinion, but a floor shift is a little easier to manage than a column shift.  For me, my biggest problem is looking for the clutch and grabbing the floor selector to shift while driving the wife's automatic transmission car.

I just checked with my company, American National, out of Springfield, Mo.  Seemed like something I should know.

Their rule is you must have 5 years driving experience, nothing to do with age.

Of interest to some, they are also one of the few who will cover you pulling a trailer. Hagerty, Grundy and most others won't. I've beat that horse here a number of times, won't go on about it now. That is what got me to them in the first place.

I just checked with my company, American National, out of Springfield, Mo.  Seemed like something I should know.

Their rule is you must have 5 years driving experience, nothing to do with age.

I learned to drive at about 8-9 years old. By the time I was 12 I was driving on the road although without a license. So per that rule I could have been insured at age 13-14??? :huh:

Iowa allows 14 y/o to drive to school, and lets 15 y/o have full licence after taking a course from a licenced teaching facility.  Iowa is one of the few states that does not require a skills test for all licence applicants.  They do random skills testing to assess the effectiveness of training, but usually 15 y/o kids get their licence after nothing more than presenting the certificate from their driving school. It was truly frightening to me to know that I was on the roads every morning with 14 y/o kids on there way to school, and that most every one else on the roads never took a skills test to get their driver's licence.  I still think Kansas drivers may be the worst, however.  They pull out to pass on two-lane roads without looking.

I can assure you Kansas drivers aren't the only ones that do that.  Every one here probably has a story, or several, of a driver who's skills didn't measure up to their expectations.

I also looked at the JC Taylor site and if you have your car/truck insured from them they also have an age limit of 25 Years old to be covered and legal to drive your parents antique car/truck.

Capt Neon:  I think they ket the kids in Iowa drive early is because most of the state is large farm counrty and most of these kids are driving fram equipment and tractors..  I would not have a problem with these farm kids but would have an issue with the city kids that do not have any  type of driving expereice such as what i stated from above.

Rich Hartung

Iowa allows 14 y/o to drive to school, and lets 15 y/o have full licence after taking a course from a licenced teaching facility. Iowa is one of the few states that does not require a skills test for all licence applicants. They do random skills testing to assess the effectiveness of training, but usually 15 y/o kids get their licence after nothing more than presenting the certificate from their driving school. It was truly frightening to me to know that I was on the roads every morning with 14 y/o kids on there way to school, and that most every one else on the roads never took a skills test to get their driver's licence. I still think Kansas drivers may be the worst, however. They pull out to pass on two-lane roads without looking.

Least there's a good chance the 14/15 year old kids are insured, I've never met an adult immigrant worker yet with insurance. But I don't get out much anymore and I'm certain it's changed a lot in the last two years.

They're not insured here either. You must insure yourself against them, because the law offers no practical recourse.

You don't want to get the law involved.  You may end up with a ticket of your own.  They may get three hots and a cot for the weekend and then released never to be seen again.

Ok,

Does anyone know right now what is the legal age of a child, friend, relative that would be permitted to drive your anotuq car or truck and also to have the car/truck covered by your antique car insuracne policy?

So of us have let our sons or daughters and even wives or girl friends drive our cars. My youngest has asked to be taught how to drive a stick shift just incase she every had to drive someone elses car while at college incase of an emergency situation.  I was going to teach her how to drive and shift on my 39 Desoto becasue it has the three on the tree.

BUT since she is under a specific age she would not be covered and the car would not be covered for any damage while learnign how to drive the car.  Scroll down to see the answer to the question.

The answer to the question is 25 years old and This is for the GRUNDY INSURACE COMPANY. but also check with your specific car carrier.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich,

Thank you for posting this thread. I had never even thought of that question. Now I'm going to read the fine print in my insurance policy (American Collectors).

Wayne

Just point the car downhill ,, a small hill..... After she understands about the clutch... close your eyes ,, wait for the BOOM... no BOOM ,, success.. I had to learn uphill...

Rich,Thank you for posting this thread. I had never even thought of that question. Now I'm going to read the fine print in my insurance policy (American Collectors).Wayne

There is more than the policy to worry about. I read my Hagerty policy front to back, it said nothing about trailers.

I was talking to them later and mentioned my trailer. She told me that I could not pull one. I explained that I'd read the policy and it had no such thing in it. She said on the application I'd filled out years before it asked if you were going to pull a trailer. If you answered yes, they would not insure you. She said that if you did and they found out your policy would be void from the day it was issued due to fraud.

Be warned.

Gene

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 1