Could use some input on this one...

Leviathan

Hello again guys...

Had an experience today and was wondering if any others have had something similar...and what the issue was.  Was driving the 50 Windsor today, 60 mph..slowing for a stop.  Heard a big "bang" and thought I blew a head gasket or cracked a head.  Pulled into a station where coolant had a slow, steady stream coming from the back of the water pump seal.  I pulled the oil dipstick to check for foam, anti freeze, in the oil.  It was clean.  Pulled all 6 plugs and they were clean and dry.  Drove a few more miles and repeated the tests with the same result.  Drove back home doing 60 mph, watching the gauges.  Oil pressure was normal and the engine did not run any warmer than usual...except for when pulling in the driveway when it went up about 10-15 degrees, which was just due to loosing about a half gallon or so of anti freeze during the drive home.  Repeated the tests after a longer drive home with the same results.  Clean and dry.  So I have to replace the water pump, which was squeaking for about a week now so I knew it was on it's way out.  But why the "bang"?  It was rather loud and sounded like I blew a piston or something.  Somewhat of a mystery to me at this point. 

Thanks for any thoughts!

~David

Thanks for the responses guys...

It wasn't a backfire.  That I know.  But a good thought if it was running rich. 

Ed...I think I may have taken out 2 smart cars and a geo metro on the drive into Elk River.  Hard to say due to the fact that the collision is similar to that of a mosquito hitting the windshield. 

I do not believe that there was enough coolant loss to cause the pump shaft to break...but that is what I was thinking as well.  It only lost about a half gallon when I checked it the first time (away from home).  And then again after the drive back home (25 miles) it was about a half gallon low again.  I will know when I get the new pump, and uninstall the old one, if it was the shaft.  I have not heard a water pump shaft break before...but as loud as that clunky bang was...would be surprised if a water pump shaft could do that.  Then again...I thought I was looking at the top of the piston when looking down the spark plug hole!  (DUH!!)

• Like 1

Check also to make sure the ground lead from your coil to your distributor is not frayed or broken. This happened to me. Coasted to a stop took a corner and whammo! All the fuel that was pumped into the exhaust ignited when to frayed wire re-established contact. It blew apart a perfectly good muffler and scared the sh** out of my wife, who had assumed I did it on purpose.

Geekay..

Thats what I thought at first. A blown radiator hose. But all coolant hoses...including the return and heater hoses...were good. Thanks for the input though.

Check also to make sure the ground lead from your coil to your distributor is not frayed or broken. This happened to me. Coasted to a stop took a corner and whammo! All the fuel that was pumped into the exhaust ignited when to frayed wire re-established contact. It blew apart a perfectly good muffler and scared the sh** out of my wife, who had assumed I did it on purpose.

Thats a good one to remember Mark! The information aquired on this forum is priceless. The bang that I experienced today...I believe...was not fuel related. Sounded like a crank snapped or something of that nature. In other words..not an explosion but loud break. Nothing fell off the car. This is a mystery to me as the only issue that Ive found so far is the leaking water pump. The top of the underside of the hood and the firewall was wet with coolant. Like a hose burst.

• Like 1

I'm with PA on this one. You heard a bearing fail in the water pump. On disassembly you'll find play in the water pump shaft and possibly a lovely grinding sensation when you spin the shaft in your hand. Let us know.

Lon

You might check to see if all of the fan blades are still there.  Had one break once and it sounded the some as your deal.

I think you may be correct Joe. I am anxious to get the water pump off and check it...but have been spending my time diagnosing the '50 B2 pickup's issue of not getting spark. Too many projects!